What's next??????????????????????????????

allyric

I want to do this slow and right. I have a 55gal tank with 3inches of live sand and about 70pounds of Lr. Been running for about 4months. I have 2 damsels in there and all my water levels are right on. I want to do a coral tank with fish. What should I do first and how quickly. I want a couple of clowns with a few anemones, Some soft corals and other fish also. What order do I need to add these and how often?????? also do I need a cleaning crew????

V

vicegrip

Do u have snails, good to have 20-30 snails.
If going to have anemones,clowns and corals.
It's a good idea to get the anemones first so it can find a spot it will be happy and not sting your corals.

gmford1979

definitely need a clean up crew. snails, hermits, maybe a starfish. i know that they are pretty, but don't get a Mandarin Dragonet for at least a year unless you add copepods.

allyric

Would getting a cleaning srew from this site be OK. and do they need to go in before or after anemones?????

pbienkiewi

First off, You need lighting for the corals and anenomes. How much $$$ are you willing to spend on lighting. Don't get a cheap lighing system. or say I will upgrade later. Spend the $$$ for a good lighting system now and save some $$$.

penelopez

yeah, what kind of lighting? Get a cleaning crew, this site is great for it. Let them get adjusted and then start adding anemones and polyps, then coral, clams, etc.

allyric

I ordered my lighting and should be here the 1st. I ordered T5 lighting 2 light bulbs and 2 acit. bulbs. 10,000 HO Ultra daylight lamps. 48 inches. should fit perfectly on my 55 gal. tank. Does the cleaning crew need to be acclimated like fish???? What will I feed them or add to the water for them????? Also Ithought that you could not have a starfish with a coral tank???

fgcu14

i'd suggest having your day lights on for 7-10 hrs. moonlights are optional so whenever you want

paulcoates

My opinion would be:
Clean Up Crew
Fish
Anemones
Wait about a year and get corals
No star fish (most die of starvation in the aquarium)

paulcoates

Originally Posted by allyric
What should I set my timers for? How long on days? How long on the moon light?
My moonlights are on from 9pm - 9am
My actinics only from 9am - 9:45am
My daylights and actinics from 9:45am - 8pm
My actinics only from 8:15pm - 9:00pm
and repeat

paulcoates

Originally Posted by allyric
What should I set my timers for? How long on days? How long on the moon light?
just so you know actinics serve the same purpose as dusk and dawn

allyric

Thank you!!!!! Will I need to feed the cleaning crew anything or will they be OK on there own????????????

gmford1979

Yes you need to acclimate your cleanup crew. most snails and crabs are sinsitive to changes.
also, with a starfish, they wont starve to death if you feed them. lol. i feed mine once a week a piece of raw shrimp. he is doing very good and has not bothered any of my corals. its a brittle star btw.
but here is my order of progression
1.) damsels
2.) cleanup crew
3.) anemones
4.) 6 months to 1 year wait
5.) corals

allyric

Hurray!!!!!!! I got my lights on and I must say WOW!!!!!!! I guess now I will get a cleaning crew and anemones.. then I'll let the tank adjust for awhile, then get the rest of my fish and then last corals. Does any one have any other suggestions that would benifit me. Thank you all