whats on my tang?

fishead

i just scraped a bunch of green hair algea off my side glass then a half hour later black spots appeared on my tang it looks like a fell in a cactus. i dont know what it is. could it be a disease? anyone seen this before?

lion_crazz

They are spots of black ich. They need to be treated with a series of formalin baths. Click the link in this forum above which is the FAQ for treatments and diseases for a great description by Beth on how to treat this.

sepulatian

That is definitely black ich. How long have you had this tang? Did you QT him? Check out Beth's common treatments FAQ a the top of the disease and treatment forum for Formalin baths. (as lion_crazz already stated)

fishead

my tank was void of fish for over 5 months. tank is 4 years old and full of corals. i bought 4 at the same time yellow tang, coral beauty, manderin and lawnmower.the fish have been in for 2 months. i ve been doing 20% RO water changes weekly in my 75 gal tank and testing perameters every 3 or 4 days only seeing a slight reading in nitrates. i do have a problem maintaining temp. flux is 3 degres daily, 77 to 80. Where does this stuff come from?

fishead

stress. ok but what are the stressers? nothing picks on him. could it be the temp flux.? is this stuff lying dorment in all fish and just waiting to say hello when a fish has a freakout?

watson3

Originally Posted by fishead
stress. ok but what are the stressers?

4 at the same time yellow tang, coral beauty, manderin and lawnmower
:thinking:

fishead

that doesnt make sense. i'm almost certain it was housed with other fish before i got it and two months in my tank is longer than recommended QT to check health b4 adding to an established population. what am i missing?

fishead

i've spent the past several hours researching this black ich and trying to catch less than $75 worth of fish in a tank containing several hundered dollars worth of coral. i spent $75 today setting up a small hospital tank for them. i have yet to catch the first fish and decided it is not a worthwhile endever. i'm gonna return the merchandise purchased today and see what happens as this ich cycles through. i started with freshwater fish keeping 20 years ago than dabbled in salt before going coral 6 years ago i have learned that corals, shrimp and crabs are by far the easiest and most satisfying. Ive come to the conclusion that ich in any form is enevitable (being hit several times myself) So if your interested here is my black ich cycle diary.
Day 2: most of the black spots have fallen off or been removed from my tang. he is competing for time with my blood red shrimp which is consantly seen servicing my blenny. i assume the parisites are lying on the bottom of my tank multiplying. no signs on other fish.

lion_crazz

Black ich does not come from stress. Black ich is a parasite, and comes from hosting on the fish.
Please treat this fish with formalin baths so that this is not a constant issue for you.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You only need to treat the effected fish. The treatment is formalin bathes, and the procedure is detailed in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.
Not having to deal with this hassle is the reason why setting up a QT is so very important, and using it for all new fish. Fish will have parasites. There is no avoid it. IMO, if you have a reef tank, there is no choice but to QT all incoming fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
You only need to treat the effected fish. The treatment is formalin bathes, and the procedure is detailed in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.
Not having to deal with this hassle is the reason why setting up a QT is so very important, and using it for all new fish. Fish will have parasites. There is no avoid it. IMO, if you have a reef tank, there is no choice but to QT all incoming fish.
And inverts/coral (sorry Beth, just adding on
)

fishead

day three was good no signs of parisites, fish looks and acts normal.
day four, scraped some more hair algea off glass and he freaked out and died an hour later. this sucks.

sepulatian

day three was good no signs of parisites, fish looks and acts normal.
day four, scraped some more hair algea off glass and he freaked out and died an hour later. this sucks.
Wow I am very sorry to hear that.