what's the 1st thing you wish you had known

john n

A month ago I started my first 55 gallon tank and I have a few questions.
1) I added 20 lbs. of live rock last week with my two clown fish still in the tank. I purchase these rocks from a local fish store and these rocks come directly out of their display tanks. When I got home I just placed these rocks directly into my fish tank. Was that a mistake? Should I have done something first with my rocks before adding them to my tank?
2) A couple days later I noticed that one of my clown fish started to have small white spots on it's body. First I thought it might be Ich, but later that night the fish had no white spots and look heathy. Then this morning the white spots were back. Tonight I will look at this fish again and see if the spots are gone. Does Ich sometimes come and go like that? Could it be from the live rocks I just added to the tank a couple days ago?

merredeth

Originally Posted by John N
A month ago I started my first 55 gallon tank and I have a few questions.
1) I added 20 lbs. of live rock last week with my two clown fish still in the tank. I purchase these rocks from a local fish store and these rocks come directly out of their display tanks. When I got home I just placed these rocks directly into my fish tank. Was that a mistake? Should I have done something first with my rocks before adding them to my tank?
2) A couple days later I noticed that one of my clown fish started to have small white spots on it's body. First I thought it might be Ich, but later that night the fish had no white spots and look heathy. Then this morning the white spots were back. Tonight I will look at this fish again and see if the spots are gone. Does Ich sometimes come and go like that? Could it be from the live rocks I just added to the tank a couple days ago?
It could be ich.
As far as taking rock from a display tank at your local store, I have taken rock from my local store where he has rock only and haven't had problems. However, he does run a UV in that tank and I do in each of mine, so I never had the problem.
Denise M.

lenr87g

I have crushed coral! How did you correct your mistake? Becaouse I need to Know what to do, any sugestions? And what is so bad about crushed coral? Becaouse I have had it for about 2 months and dont think I have expereniced any problems yet.

unleashed

Originally Posted by lenr87g
I have crushed coral! How did you correct your mistake? Becaouse I need to Know what to do, any sugestions? And what is so bad about crushed coral? Becaouse I have had it for about 2 months and dont think I have expereniced any problems yet.
there is absolutly nothing wrong with crushed coral I have it in my tanks and i also use sand in another.I have had people come to my home look in my tanks and say I need some of your substrate omg I have never seen so much good live in a tank before and I dont have nitrate issues i wish my camera were better for close up pics because you can see all of the things crawling about in my cc as the sand gets blown around and constantly sifted by fish.it realy is a matter of preference to sand or crushed coral.and if you have puffers cc is better for them they love to chew on it which helps keep there teeth filed

K

kimc

Research before you buy...There is alot to learn how to care for your fish, inverts, corals etc.. Some fish require large tanks and you need to know what types of food to feed. I bought a Moorish Idol not knowing that it would not survive in my 90 gallon tank. "But is was so pretty"

pyro

First off, if you are doing a reef, timers are cheap, normally about $7 and save you a lot of hassle.
The most useful tool I have is a plastic stick about 1.5' long that came off an old algae scrubber - highly recommended if you dont' want a sticky arm every other night.
These things get expensive, my 30g ended up being about double my predicted cost, and I predicted pretty highly. Cost and human work balance off pretty well. The more money wisely spent, the less maintenence required and vice versa.
Also, fish jump out the back. My only two casualties (clown and 6-line wrasse) jumped out the back. 3 of the 4 sides are covered with a wooden canopy, they still manage to find their way out. Darn suicides =P

scotty37

You seem to know about the live sand. I am completely new to this and have forgotten most of what I used to know when I was running a boring freshwater tank. I just bought a 54 gallon corner bowfront aquarium. I decided to go with live sand which is in the mail as I post this. I have the tank filled with good water which I treated anyways. I am going to mix in the salt tonight.
I ran into an unexpected problem in the cost of live rock. I have decided to try to find some "Texas Holey" baserock and let it cycle for a couple months ( that is what I was referred to... is this good?). I figure I will need that time to learn to keep the tank maintained anyways. I would like to get some cleaners in there such as blue leg hermits, emerald crabs, and a type of snail, can I put this in before it has become live rock? Also, my tank (used) came with a fluval 404 pump/filter. The guy told me there is an open chamber which I need to fill with charcoal? Does anyone know what he is talking about and if this is necessary?
Also, The fluval hoses are out of control on where they stay. One is hanging out in the tank and the other I cant turn up the power on or it will come out of the tank. How do I keep these in place?
Lastly, how is the live sand kept clean, other than filling the tank with cleaners listed above? I would so much appreciate the help!!!

stsweene

When starting a saltwater tank, bite the bullet early and admit the fact that your FO is slowly going to turn into a reef, so you can buy the proper equipment/lights etc, the whole way through. and not waste money, although all that gear makes for a good refugium later.
Buy a big tank to start with, no fun with the switch overs.
Buy bulk LR online when first starting your cycle.

titan

Understand your water params, and how to test for them. Spend the money up-front for good stuff, and don't skimp. I've got lots of junk laying around my house.

mrmaroon

I wish I had know to set the tank (preferably drilled) with a sump and skimmer, to use sand and not Crushed coral, to be extremely patient, and to buy fewr fish than I thought I could put in my tank.

zipityzoom

I just got a 50 gallon from my mom because she has a few other tanks. She is a newbie but has done really well. I didn't realize that some of the fish are so aggressive. I bought the tank with the fish included and now I am reading that some of these shouldn't be together. I guess she just happened to add them all at the right times. Lucky i guess. I added some new fish and I haven't had any problems.
Just be careful who you listen to. I get differing opinions from everyone. I fear that th fish store people are always just trying to make mo0ney. Sometimes they will tell you that a fish will be fine and then I read that one of my others will eat it or that it will attack my other fish.
Also....when buying fish from a store...ask them to feed the fish so you can make sure they are eating and healthy. If the fish looks even a little questionable...do not buy it. My mom got a fish from Aqua Zoo and it had ick and gave it to her whole tank. She lost about $200 worth of fish. So sad.

drose

Never, never, NEVER buy damselfish! They are mean and aggressive. Not only to other fish but also to each other. My yellowtailed blue damsel killed my 2 newly purchased clowns. Does anyone want the murdering little bugger?

peggy_c

I wish I had known to use a sandbed. It would've been great if I had known to leave a LOT of space behind the aqaurium for future equpment. Now, not much fits back there.