whats the best fish to start out with in a only fish tank

kcowles040491

i would like some opionions/facts on what the best fish to start out with is. Eventually i would like a mandarin... but ill prolly have to get a bigger tank to do that. i have a ten gallon all glass aquarium and its pretty much junk but its fun to play with and its my FIRST SALTWATER TANK EVER! its so cool but i have no live rock and no live sand but i do have crushed coral
and its temp is fairly constant and alll i would like to know is what fish to start out with. even though it hasnt cycled or even cleard up all the way yet but im so excited my mom has past expeirences with many tanks and she's a big help but she has been contradicting you guys so much and im not really sure what to do im getting live rock and a biowheel tommorow.when it comes time to get a fish i would like to know what to get.?

gharner

first you should prolly get rid of the crushed coral. it will trap debris and cause your nitrates to rise. i recomend live sand. next you will need at least 10 lbs of live rock to cycle. the tank will take any where from 2 weeks to 1 month to cycle completely. a mandarine would need a very large tank with a lot of live rock in it in order to survive because they pretty much just eat pods. for a fish i would suggest a false percula clownfish, or a royal gramma, or a sixline wrasse. also most gobies will do well in a tank that size. just remember not to add any fish untill the tank is fully cycled.....going slow and reading up is the best thing you can do.

fishkid2

I would not recomend a sixline for ten gal. I have one and he likes to swim a lot and they also like to pick off the rock. They also eat pods too. I would go with what gharner said the clown, or the royal gramma.
i would not put a sixline in a ten gal. imo