whats the best testing kit?

taureantank

I an not sure if I should get the Reef Master or Salt Water kit from API?
I have a 29 gallon Biocube
Anemone, Soft Coral and Fish

snakeblitz33

They both serve different purposes...
The saltwater test kit measures pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate... which is very good for a quarantine tank, and pH tests are always good for reef tanks as well, if you run different pH altering types of equipment.
The reef test kit is good for... what a reef requires... They have calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate tests in those... which it is beneficial to know your ca and alk levels if you have LPS and SPS corals. Soft corals get by fine with water changes alone.
If you keep up with your water change schedule, I see no point in getting the reef test kit for the time being. But, if you add corals that aren't soft coral - then I suggest buying the reef test kit.
Best of luck... share some pics of your tank with us soon!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanTank http:///t/393446/whats-the-best-testing-kit#post_3500214
I an not sure if I should get the Reef Master or Salt Water kit from API?
I have a 29 gallon Biocube
Anemone, Soft Coral and Fish
I wouldn't get get API test kits...I have had nothing but grief with the nitrate test. I had 3...3 different API kits! Not one of them was on target. They kept saying my nitrates were at dangerous levels, I was doing daily water changes and the trates would read in the 80s by the end of the day...I was sure my tank was crashing, yet my shrimp was perfectly healthy. 3 brand new kits, I absolutely didn't think 3 new kits could all be bad so it had to be something else....when I finally switched brands...my nitrates were a 1
Now I use the SeaChem brand...All of their tests come with a regent to be able to double check so that I know the test reading is correct. They have a saltwater multi kit and a Reef multi kit...I opted for both. The Red Sea brand is another kit that is known for having messed up test result accuracy.

snakeblitz33

Since I do reef tanks and I already have a pH monitor, I buy the top three - Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium. Since a hanna phosphate checker is more accurate than any titration test kit, that's what I use for phosphates. I have a pretty good eye for when the tank is going good and when it is going bad, and so after the initial cycle, I never use an ammonia or nitrite test kit... and typically don't even test ammonia and nitrite when I cycle a tank anymore.
It's basically up to you and what you are looking for. I suggest a kits that comes with nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium, especially after your initial cycle.
Good luck and I wish you the best. I hope you share some more pics of your tank in the future.