whats the best way to clean your glass?

brainrush

You can get magnetic algae scrappers. They work really well. Check out a product called "Mag-float."
I use an old credit card to scrape off the tough spots the mag-float won't get off.

lkb3493

Do you mean the outside or the inside of the glass?
On the outside I go to a very far spot in the house and spray Windex on a rag and then come into the room with my tank and wipe down the glass. Never spray anything in the same room as your tank.
On the inside I use a Mag float/scraper thing and it works great!

vtfishies

inside..i use an algea scrapper and for the coraline algea razor blade...outside i use a dry wash cloth..unless its finger prints from the kids that wet rag and dry with a dry rag..

dischirm

I would never recommend putting windex or any ammonia based product on your tank glass!! Idont care if you go outside to spray it, the fumes are still there when you are rubbing the glass. take some RO water and a paper towel (shop towels work really well, buy in auto parts store) and wipe off your glass. As for the inside - MAG FLOAT!!!

saltn00b

i have a mag float for acryllic, b/c my tank is acryllic, it doesnt work nearly as well as the glass one does, because its so much less abrasive. does anyone have ideas for something better , and safe for acryllic? i am having to clean it wall to wall nowadays the stuff is growing like wildfire.

lkb3493

Do you have one of those algea scraper sponge on a stick type things? I have glass so I don't know if that would be too abrasive for your tank?

dmjordan

Originally Posted by mopar9012
so a lot of you use mag float...can i get that at any LFS?
Call around first to you lfs. Not all carry them. Mine carries them just not the size I need.

mopar9012

i will...but this seems confusing. there are sizes? could some explain what this object is. all i get out of it is its some type of magnet?

dmjordan

Click on the dry goods tab to the left of the message boards. Scroll down to magnets and click on one of the sizes. The sizes depend on the size of your tank. The bigger your tank the thicker the glass therefore the magnet needs to be stronger.

shrimpdady

Originally Posted by mopar9012
okay i got it now. do you think a small would work fine for a 29 gallon?

The ones for bigger tanks are larger and have stronger magnets.
If you don't mind spending a little extra time(like 1 minute), get the small one.
The bigger one will cover more area and because of the stronger magnet will scrape a little harder.

mopar9012

Originally Posted by ShrimpDady
The ones for bigger tanks are larger and have stronger magnets.
If you don't mind spending a little extra time(like 1 minute), get the small one.
The bigger one will cover more area and because of the stronger magnet will scrape a little harder.

i think ill get a bigger one. i plan on ungrading in the future so why not? thanks for your help. this sounds a lot easier than scrubing the glass. thanks