Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.0
Alcalinity:8
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phostphate:0
Calcium:400
I have all kinds of algae, not taking over the tank yet but pretty annoying.
Red hair algae on parts of live rock and live sand, a little bit of bubble algae, green plant like algae on some live rock..What am I doing wrong?

jonnydubs

Yea, 10 turbo snails, and there are some sort of slugs or snails without shells(if such a thing) that come out at night, mustve come with my live rock. My temp has been running high but that'll be fixed soon.

meleerock

Sounds like you might need a bigger clean up crew with more variety. Check out the reef packages on this site to help you with what else and how many you should get. Sounds like the snail with no shell could have been a nudibranch. do you have any pics? Also, what kind of lighting do you have on your tank? Did you get the lights new or used?

promisetbg

The snails you are seeing at night do have a tiny shell, they are Stomatellas. What kind of water are you using?{RO/DI or tap?} What test kit are you using? The algae may be consuming the phosphates & nitrates and giving you a false reading.Algae is fueled by excess nutrients, so it is there. I suggest you beef up the clean up crew to include ome nassarius snails & hermits. Do not get a 'reef package', they often are way too big. How many fish do you have?

jonnydubs

I use natural sea water that is filtered. I don't have my own test kit but plan on doing it on my own soon, i get it tested at the lfs. I did have higher phosphates and i put in phosgaurd and now it read 0. I have 2 false perc. clown fish and an engineer goby. I also have two peppermint shrimp, a sally lightfoot crab, a sebae anemone, star polyps, a mushroom, button polyps and 2 xenia frags.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by JonnyDubs
Lights are brand new CoralLife (2) Actinic 65 watt bulbs and (2) 10,000k 65 watt bulbs.
Next question...how long do you run your lights? If it is more than 8 hours try scaling back a bit. From my understanding algae comes from too much decaying fish food and too much light. Take those components away and there isn't any nutriens for algae to thrive on.