Whats The Differance Between Substrates

soulsigma

Please inform me on the difference between the following substrates

1) Crushed Coral (why it is not wise to use?)
2) Aragonite
3) Oolite
4) Reef Sand

natclanwy

The difference between all of these substrates is basically the size of the particles. All of them are Aragonite, crushed coral is the largest partical size and because of this has a tendancy to trap dietrus causing nitrate issues. Reef sand is usually a mix of particles from sugar sized to 2mm and is usually a good choice for most aquariums. Oolite sand is very fine particles sizes from silt to 1mm in diameter, I really like the look of oolite and because the particles are very fine it allows for anerobic areas to form very readily when using it in a DSB.

pezenfuego

Crushed coral isn't necessarily a bad thing. With sand, detritus builds up mainly on the surface where it can be blown off and disposed of properly. Crushed coral traps detritus. The detritus then decays further and can cause some nitrate problems. That's why few people use it. However, if you take care of it and clean it often, then it's perfectly fine. If you don't care between CC or Sand, get sand, the general consensus is that it is easier to have. You can also have a bare-bottom tank.
The other questions were answered and answered well

gypsana

I had crushed coral in my two of my tanks. I began to hate it. Very high maintenance and it gets dirty easily. You can not get a clean up crew to adequately help keep it looking decent and you have to vacuum it every water change. Pure pain in the bum IMO.

fishmamma

Personally I like a mix of aragonite and sand. Consider what you want for inverts if any in the tanks, some prefer one substrate type over another.

bs21

Originally Posted by soulsigma
http:///forum/post/3000550
Please inform me on the difference between the following substrates

1) Crushed Coral (why it is not wise to use?)
there has been much discussion over the larger size of substrate such as cc collecting detrius but not providing the same types of bacteria/invertabrates etc.... to break it down which results in higher levels of nitrates. can be large argonite or as the name implies crushed coral skeletons/rock
2) Aragonite
Argonite sand disolves at a ph less then aquarium water usually which is beneficial because over time it can release some calcium and carbonate alkalinity.
3) Oolite
is a size of argonite sand oolitic sand is usually collected in the bahamas. Alot of people buy this sand because it is very white. This helps with corals because light is reflected up off of it. Another tought is that it is so fine grained that detrius is not able to penetrate the surface keeping all waste on top and then circulated back in the water column to be removed by filters. This may be true at first but like any other substrate it will eventually become dirty andwaste will get into it. no big deal because bacteria invertebrates live in sand to break waste down. also depending on ammount of flow this sand can easily be blown around aquarium.
4) Reef Sand
not sure what reef sand pertains to uless it is just labled on the package. It is still calcium carbonate base but may not slowly break down in aquarium because unlike argonite other calcium carbonates break down at a much lower ph.
personally i like an argonite sand that is usually a size #1 (oolite being #0) some people even mix oolite and a larger size which can be ok to make sand slightly more bright but i would go with more #1 over#0.
this is just my preference though.

soulsigma

Thanks to all who helped me get a better understanding of the various substrates, with you expert advice and valued options , I am now better equipped to make a educated decision.