what's the difference

hambone

I'm trying to "branch out" from my mushrooms and leathers into other corals. I read alot on here from everyone trying to decide which direction to go. Could someone excuse my ignorance and explain to me is there a difference between "zoos", "zoas", and "button polyps". Pros, cons, etc. Thanks!

paintballer768

Zoos/Zoas/Button polyps are all the same thing. They require relatively low light (possible under pc fixtures) and low-medium flow. There are a few of the morphs that you will find, that like high light and high flow. Varies by the color morph, with no real pattern.
Zoanthids are generally popular because of theyre low maintenance, and fast reproduction. You can buy an expensive frag, let it grow out double, frag it and sell it and get your money back. Then the rest is profit.
Dependent on what type of lighting you have, you can also enter the general LPS species, like bubble corals and brains.

T

tizzo

They are pronounced to sound like zoos, but since they derive from zoanthids, people they should (IMO) be spelled as zoas.
I just have a hard time when I hear zo-ahs, I hate that nickname although it's prolly just as correct as any other...

jaymz

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2728447
They are pronounced to sound like zoos, but since they derive from zoanthids, people they should (IMO) be spelled as zoas.
I just have a hard time when I hear zo-ahs, I hate that nickname although it's prolly just as correct as any other...

Zoh-uh.. would be the correct pronunciations... they are not called zoo-nthids its zoh-anthids. IMO zoh-uh is the correct pronunciation.

I on the other hand have always been bothered by the 'zoo' thing. but what are you going to do.
Anyway, zoos, zoas, palys(palythoa), protopalythoa, button polyps, all the same thing for the most part.
Button polyps could mean zoanthids, palythoa protopalythoa
and zoanthids, palys and protopalys all look the same with little genetic difference.

T

tizzo

zoh-uh...

Zoa! Like Boa!! as in constrictor!!
Nope...still don't like it... zoos it is!

reefkprz

Google this (since the article cannot be reproduced without permission
Palythoa and Protopalythoa may be same genus Matt Clarke
the article will be the first hit. wont really clear up who says how to pronounce what but it should clarify the button polyp thing.

reefkprz

as for my input on the "way to say zoa" the abbreviated term IMO should be pronounced Zoh, and spelled zoa, the name zoanthid should be pronounced Zoh-ANN-thid, in english the emphasis should be on the second syllable.
like monitpora should be pronounced "mon-tip-ura" not "monty-poura"

jadette

It's just more fun to call them zoos. I'll use the term 'zoas' when I'm posting, but would would use the term 'zoos' when I'm talking to someone about them.
"Zo-ahs" just sounds so jurassic to me when spoken out loud.

T

tizzo

I like reefkprz "Zoh"/// It's a nice compromise.

But the monti one is an old school new school thing...
Like acroporas being ah-crop-er-a or acro-pour-a
Potato potato...