whats the ideal salinity?

edmsalt

simple question, but i am wondering what is the ideal salinity? i have 3 tanks... a 20G, 50G and 77G.. and my salinity ranges from 1.021, 1.024 and 1.026.
i want to ensure that all 3 of my tanks are consistent, and was wondering if i should go with 1 particular level for all 3 tanks, or just leave them the way they are...
i figured, this way, i could move my fishes around the 3 tanks...
only the 20G has coral right now.
and so far, i am only keeping blennies, clowns, chromis and gobies.

edmsalt

not that i dont believe you, but why do the hydrometers (coralife) give a range of 1.020-1.024 as the safe range ???

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by EDMSalt
not that i dont believe you, but why do the hydrometers (coralife) give a range of 1.020-1.024 as the safe range ???
That is simply their idea of a safe range. I've known many who keep the specific gravity at 1.026. If you have inverts they tend to do very well around 1.025. I no longer even use a hydrometer, I use a much more accurate refractometer. I've also been doing this for years and years.
Thomas

speg

Are they reef tanks ? Or are they fish only? For fish only tanks you'll do better with a lower salinity because the fish will be able to breathe much easier in less salty water. Inverts however in a reef tank like a saltier water like Thomas said.

bigarn

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Salinity of 35 ppm. Specific gravity of 1.025
Agreed

Although I think Thomas meant 35ppt not 35ppm.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by bigarn
Agreed

Although I think Thomas meant 35ppt not 35ppm.

Ahh sranje! Žao mi je, Ja sam ludtka

chipmaker

From everything I have read a reef tank or any other except if keeping critters from the Red Sea should not be over 1.023.....and a fish only can be kept at 1.021.....If keeping a Red Sea critter tank then 1.025 or so would be more suitable......

mudplayerx

I keep my tank at 1.026 specific gravity. Also, I have heard that natural ocean water is around 1.022 - 1.023.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
snip Also, I have heard that natural ocean water is around 1.022 - 1.023.
I guess I am just going to have to drag my refractometer to the coast with me on Thursday, since I have a load of odds and ends to haul down to my friends place in Pensacola .....So I'll take a sample or two from the Gulf of Mexico and hopefully get a day or so of bottom fishing in....it ought to be stirred up and mixed pretty good after Wilma and the prior others that came through....heading out right now to put refractometer i my trucks glove compartment so I don't forget.

bluegill

Originally Posted by EDMSalt
simple question, but i am wondering what is the ideal salinity? i have 3 tanks... a 20G, 50G and 77G.. and my salinity ranges from 1.021, 1.024 and 1.026.
i want to ensure that all 3 of my tanks are consistent, and was wondering if i should go with 1 particular level for all 3 tanks, or just leave them the way they are...
i figured, this way, i could move my fishes around the 3 tanks...
only the 20G has coral right now.
and so far, i am only keeping blennies, clowns, chromis and gobies.

As you can see from all the replies, people have success at a variety of salinity levels and hence the accpetable ranges that manufacturers and literature will suggest. You will have success at any of those levels, but better at the higher end with inverts. I myself successfully keep fish, inverts, and coral at 1.021.
To answer the original question, if you are bouncing fish between tanks then yes you should keep all 3 at the same salinity and temperature unless you want to acclimate each time. Even if they are the same though, a short acclimation wouldn't hurt.
Good luck -
BG

thejdshow

It was my understanding that Fish like it a little lower and inverts like it a little higher? but 1.025 s.g is the # to shoot for from what ive heard