What's the lure?

I am curious to know what are everyone's reasons for starting/running a nano tank. You can't keep nearly as many corals in there, nor as many fish. It can be more difficult to keep your levels stable and maintenance is less forgiving.
With so many limitations, why do you keep a nano reef.
(and don't say money or space . . . these are means that can be easily worked with/around)

aggie05

I'm in college and don't have a permanent residence nor do I have a good amount of funding. When I know I will live somewhere for more than a couple of years, I will have a larger tank.

Originally posted by CarsGirlsNFish
you don't seem to dig them so much yourself. why do you keep one

I hate having a nano tank . . . I can't stand the limitations of it.
BUT . . . I have two significant roadblocks in my way of getting a bigger tank:
1. The live in girlfriend. Does not want an enormus tank in our place . . . unless we get another cat. Not gonna happen.
2. Biggest roadblock: Apartment complex. I live on the second floor, and they have weight/tank restrictions that pretty much max me out at about 25 gallons or so.
So I am stuck with a 22 gallon tank and I make do with what I got . . . .
When I DO get my own house though, rest assured there will be a pretty nice sized in-wall tank.

reefnut

There are two main reason I had to have a nano... First is because I heard they were very challenging, second is I wanted a tank in my bedroom.

overanalyzer

1. I like an intellectual challenge - which keeping a nano is!
2. I can't afford full size corals so I try to do everything with Frags
3. The spouse and I have agreed on living in a smaller house to keep expenses down and provide some other extras for the kids (like wife staying home part time, more extracurricular invovlement in stuff like dance and thatre camp and stuff like that). A larger tank while do-able just does not fit in wiht the current fiscal situation.
4. The wife went with me to a frag swap and heard all these stories about people's tanks leaking and or exploding ..... she=:scared: and then I went
and the 140 was sold ....
5. Aside from the Hippo Tang all the fish I like will fit into various nano's.
6. I would much rather have a nice bangaii only tank that is somewhat lagoonal, and another nano reef and then possibly a 29 gallon frog fish tank and spread the tanks around the house ....
7. Money and Space :joy: :joy:

cprdnick

Well, I already had my ten gallon and got tired of it sitting there with nothing in it but FW plants. My friend had a 1 year old Via Aqua 18 gallon for 75 dollars with LR, and three fish, a scarlet cleaner shrimp, and a skimmer. I had done research before buying this tank and found that people think Nano's are harder. Well the way I see it with everything in my life, if I can make it through the hard stuff I can breeze through the easy stuff, and deserve to, at that.
Clint