Whats the most important "thing" you've learned

thud

I've learned many times that shortcuts never actually turn out to be shortcuts, if you know what I mean....

petjunkie

That I should have researched even more before I started my first tank!
That it's a money pit.
That what works for one person won't work for you, find your own way of doing things, for me it's low maintenance and weekly water changes.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by mushroomss
A smart caveman once said water changes good......Chemicals bad~!
totally agree!!

chadman

Originally Posted by captmorgan
qt everything, no matter how great your lfs does it for you
AGREED! i was fortunate for years in my 30g never to have any problems...but the 55g has been a totally different story! QTQTQTQTQTQTQTQTQTQTQT!!!

craig_08

Water + Power Strips = Bad
Don't let drunk people near the tank.
It is easier to do good maintainance from the beginning that try to fix a situation like red slime or hair algae.
<b>Do no go to a LFS just to look if you don't have the money to buy.</b>
Do not add fish or corals until you are positive it is time, then wait another month before you do.
Good equipment can hide poor maintainence but not forever...

salth20addict

Even when things are going bad, my tank beats anything on tv. I can sit and watch it for hours and find myself watching it with the tv running. Also, wives don't like talking to you when you can see the tank, they learn quickly your focus is on your tank!

barchtruong

Originally Posted by nolatrav
WOW i have one, gotta be an 1" 1/2, hasn't touched anything, just picks at LR all day. hmmmm. not all are the same i guess, had him for almost a year an a half.
Just wait and see the evil side of Emerald crabs!!

I had 2. and I can't be any happier when I got rid of them.
My whole coral community celebrated in the tank since and they sure appreciated my decision.

autofreak44

i have a few
1. ***** sucks
2. dont let the guy at ***** tell you that an eclipse is a good system
3. yellow tangs belong in big tanks, and if some guy trys to sell you one for your nano, stop going to that fish store
4. if a fish is upside down at the bottom of a tank, dont let the guy at the store tell you that it is normal
5. cleaning crew comes before fish
6. get a real thermometer, not a strip
7. patience is a virtue
8. go on saltwaterfish.com every free moment i have
9. listen to the advice people give you on SWF.com
10. plan before purchasing
well thats it... enjoy

azfishgal

Originally Posted by autofreak44
i have a few
2. dont let the guy at ***** tell you that an eclipse is a good system
For a saltwater tank this is probably true, but for those who want a freshwater tank it's GREAT! I've had a 12 gallon Eclipse for three years and it's SOOOO much easier than my old 10 gallon kit. I love it!

flabeano

do not over think it......use common sense....it really isn't as hard as soom say....if your aproach is correct. :)

poniegirl

I don't know yet. Still learning....
I greatly admire people with the patience for, and knowledge of, corals. That is an art of aquarists.

dinks

To make sure your maintenace guy is doing right by you, if not, kick him to the curb and learn here to do it myself........still learning, and still stocking, being patient, buying RIGHT equipment and not relying on the boss of the maintenance guy (who owns a LFS) lol Buy books READ them, and come back here, many are outdated or do not cover all of your needs.
dinks