What's the worst thing...

salty chee

...that has happened to your computer? This means has your computer been infected by a virus/trojan? Something that happened to my computer, which you may be able to find the thread where I was constantly chating with Thejdshow about how to fix it, and unfortantly, had to buy a totaly new computer. I called the "geek squad" and the employ they sent to fix the problem, siad that this was one of the most serious problems that he had ever encountered. I probably had downloaded a fake, and infact, very cool little thing called "smiley central" which caused the trojan. It costed around $280 to fix it, get some of the files that I had on my computer back, and even upgrade to a better version.

farmboy

Ad-ware.
Although it pales in comparison to your problem, it is infuriating.
I had to totally clean my computer and re-install all the software from scratch. Missing drivers and the whole nine yards!

One other time I ran into something that must have been a virus because it would shut the computer off when I went to a particular website. Yes, shut the computer OFF!
Anyway, welcome back! Glad you got your PC straightened out.

maeistero

I'd never buy a new computer for a program problem, just keep your info on cd-roms and reinstall. i've had to do that about every 6months, and now i just load the essentials when i need them. i also keep a 2nd large hard drive to store most data. it seems that windows gets attacked the most and my 2nd drive is largely ignored. zonealarm and avg are great if you'd like to prevent future problems, both have freeware programs. googl them.
anyways my biggest problem is that my animated gifs and smilies have turned off on my last reload and i can't remember how to turn them on. aaarrrghhh!!!!

salty chee

Originally Posted by maeistero
I'd never buy a new computer for a program problem, just keep your info on cd-roms and reinstall. i've had to do that about every 6months, and now i just load the essentials when i need them. i also keep a 2nd large hard drive to store most data. it seems that windows gets attacked the most and my 2nd drive is largely ignored. zonealarm and avg are great if you'd like to prevent future problems, both have freeware programs. googl them.
anyways my biggest problem is that my animated gifs and smilies have turned off on my last reload and i can't remember how to turn them on. aaarrrghhh!!!!
Show off your smartness
. You just gave me a very good idea. Thanks!

pwnag3!!

I remember when i was building a computer a year or two ago for my friend... i was setting up the water cooling system... well i forgot to connect a hose and when we turned it on... well cooling fluid went everywhere inside...

salty chee

Originally Posted by pwnag3!!
I remember when i was building a computer a year or two ago for my friend... i was setting up the water cooling system... well i forgot to connect a hose and when we turned it on... well cooling fluid went everywhere inside...
Oh....thats got to be bad.

S

sinner's girl

don't use IE and you won't have that problem. Don't use ME either.
Our problems are when the power goes out and the sever goes down. If we're home and bad weather hits, we turn it off. But we weren't home this weekend. Lenox (sp?)doesn't like to play nice. I'm sure what damage was done on ours, Sinner had to go to Alexandria before he could check ours. Another one is dead, can't get any data off of it, but it was novell, I think.
Back up, Back up, Back up.
Most of mine die. I mean, they can only last so many years. We got one in 95, was running win 95, I took it to college in '99, sometime after (as least a year, maybe two), it started to die. I then got my dad's next hand me down. Killed it last year. It was so slow I couldn't run word and photoshop and dreamweaver at the same time, heck, I could even just run word with a large document. Got a new box, then got extra memory cause I was still having trouble running everything at once and now, it's great! Dreamwever, photoshop, Word, and multiple firefoxes. this box is good. Monitor is dying though. You have to hit it just right to get it to come back on.
Luckly, I've never had to pay someone to fix my computer. I never would anyway, but I'm married to a computer guy. We have deal. He gets clean socks and underware, he does all the computer work. I don't care if I can do something, it's his job.

matty0h_52

I have seen allmost everything under the gun But add wear has to be the worst right not. When people find it more important to search for ---- at work. And were not talking a little ---- but enough that when i run a spy wear sweep to see how bad the system is and the program locks up. ignorant people and there

[hr]

carshark

doesnt anyone remember the windows worm a couple of years ago? it infected microsoft, and about 2 million+ computers nationwide. mine was eaten alive...

carshark

i can t remember. all i remember is it completely eating my hard drive and reading about it in the papers...

denny80689

The worst I had was the armagedon virus that went around in like 1999. It actuily did a bios flash and completely wiped your PC clean. Most of the kids at my college got it and I was one of the lucky ones! :p That was my first experiance with viruses. Now I backup everything on CD and format my PC every 6months to a year to get rid of all the spyware crap that the programs wont remove.

socal57che

One of my wife's coworkers sat her laptop bag down to unlock the trunk. It was still in the driveway when she backed out into the street, only it was thinner.

salty chee

Originally Posted by socal57che
One of my wife's coworkers sat her laptop bag down to unlock the trunk. It was still in the driveway when she backed out into the street, only it was thinner.

lozors.

mudplayerx

I've gone through so many computers that it isn't even funny. One I spilled orange juice RIGHT into the vent and it saturated all of the boards inside.
One computer got fried by lightining.
One computer I punched and broke (I know, I know....)
I have probably gone through at least 6 or 7 keyboards. I play a lot of online games and when I get frustrated I tend to break the keyboards. I have a horrid temper.