What's this purple goop?

jambi0n

sorry about the pix folks. it's kinda like a purpleish, reddish looking type of algae. is there anything that will eat it or can i just remove it by hand, or is it ok to have in a tank?

mudplayerx

Is it difficult or easy to remove? If it comes off incredibly easy, then it is cyano or slime.
If its hard to get off then it is probably a macroalgae (as long as it is not fuzzy). If its fuzzy it is probably red hair algae.
If it is hard like calcareous algae, then that is probably what it is :p
ps- no algae is going to hurt your water quality....actually it will help it. However, it is usually indicative of poor water circulation in the area where it is growing. Also, if the algae grows around the bases of your corals it can kill them.

jambi0n

thanks for the info mudplayer. i'll see if i can remove it. i touched it earlier and it was all slimy, not hard at all. i'll check my water quality later on today. also that's the only slimy part where the stuff is. it's no where else in the tank.

us~^>shark

I've been battling this stuff for about 2 weeks now. It looks and sounds just like mine, which is definitely cyanobacteria (slime algae). It is dark purple and when the lights are on, it forms small bubbles under it, which is oxygen (it's byproduct). It has been very tough to eliminate. I'm still trying. It has been reduced since I've added 2 more powerheads and have cut way back on my feeding. Unfortunately, I think it killed one of our corals. It formed on the base, and I got it off once I noticed, but the coral hasn't come back out since. It also seems to have a shininess to it that it never had. (It's a leather coral that has done great up till now).
Good luck on yours. It's nasty stuff.

pitbull01

While my tank was cycling, I had a bad problem with it too. My LFS had some chemical that they recommended and it was reef safe and I bought it and used it and within 3 days it was all gone, it never came back, and my corals all made it!

who dey

cyanobacteria isn't an algae, it's actually one of the oldest organisms that exist on earth. It's a bi*
to get rid of, but can be done with alot of work, it took me 2 months.

mudplayerx

I personally wouldn't use any sort of chemicals to get rid of algae. This doesn't get rid of the source of the problem, plus it can cause long-term water parameter problems. My opinion.

pitbull01

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I personally wouldn't use any sort of chemicals to get rid of algae. This doesn't get rid of the source of the problem, plus it can cause long-term water parameter problems. My opinion.
That's not what I was suggesting. I corrected why I was getting the slime and then used a reef-safe chemical that my LFS recommended-never had it again!

pitbull01

Originally Posted by jambi0n
pitbill, what was that stuff called that you bought to get rid of the cyanobacteria?
it was called like red slime remover or something like that. It was in a small blue box with white letters.

pitbull01

Originally Posted by Salty Cheese
Are we sure it is cyano? Kind of looks like an encrusting Montipora. :notsure:
It is cyano.

salty cheese

Originally Posted by pitbull01
It is cyano.
If it is cyano then jambi0n should be able to "blow" it off the rock and jambi0n has still not yet answered that question.

pitbull01

Cyano, doesn't come off as easy as it sounds. It is EASY to get off on substrate, but can be a pain to get off on rock-especially rock with a lot of ridges-like his.

pitbull01

Actually, is there anyway I can see an EXTREME close-up. I have something KIND OF similar in my tank-except mine is an encrusting sponge...