What's this 'shroom in my tank?

zephyrlily

I'm wondering if this is a type of cyano although I've had that before as a purplish sheet of slime growing all over my rocks. This is just a single growth I've had for a couple months and it's nowhere else in the tank. It started off as a dark brown/purple flat velvet growth and has bulged out since then appearing more like a mushroom, super soft, its diameter has never really increased (about 1/2") just slowly grown in height.

heartben

if its a mushroom it looks like a "blue" mushroom to me.
but, im no expert. just go to the coral section on the website and click it and take a look.

zephyrlily

No corals, it's not a reef tank, the same rocks have been in there for 4+ years. The only other thing added to the tank besides fish were a couple of medium size snails from tidepools, one had some nice coraline spots on its shell, maybe something else hitched on it. Any guesses?

clay12340

The picture isn't detailed enough to offer much, but it could be a sponge of some type or a mushroom coral. They are easily spread and if a fragment was attached to something you added to the tank it could have floated off and attached there. I'd be more inclined to think it is a sponge as a mushroom would look more like an umbrella than a lump, but based on the picture the best I can say is that you've got something purple.