What's up with my Birdsnest?

jbird0420

Since this morning the Green polyps on it are disappearing? Is it dying? All my other corals are ok, water params are good.

groupergenius

Cut the live stuff where it looks good and live and get it off of there. There is a slight chance you can still save some of it.
Put the live piece you cut off on the other end of the tank.

spanko

Yup Rapid Tissue Necrosis. I have had two millepora RTN in what seemed to be less than one day. Tissue actually powders right off. Crazy stuff.

jbird0420

I got some research to do... Some quick questions.. Will it spread to my other corals? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks guys!

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Jbird0420
http:///forum/post/2759954
I got some research to do... Some quick questions.. Will it spread to my other corals? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks guys!

Dunno, could be different in different tanks. I have had it only affect like 1 coral at a time.....and it's allways months apart.

M

markeo99

if you notice it start happening again I have save some by puting a ring of superglue above the rtn line

steelytom

When you cut frags from a RTN'd coral you need to cut it above the bleached part. If you have any of the bleached part on the base it will just continue. You may also want to dip it in an iodine base coral dip. I bought a chips acro frag that RTN'd in a few hours.

jbird0420

i cutt above the line. I have my fingers crossed these lil guys will survive. So far this morning they look ok!

Originally Posted by steelytom
http:///forum/post/2760288
When you cut frags from a RTN'd coral you need to cut it above the bleached part. If you have any of the bleached part on the base it will just continue. You may also want to dip it in an iodine base coral dip. I bought a chips acro frag that RTN'd in a few hours.

spanko

I hope you will keep posting pictures as time goes by. Would like to see, and for others to see, what the progression is on trying to save the coral this way.