What's wrong with this goniopora?

stanlalee

its what they do 80% of the time (as opposed to 98% of the time several years ago before oyster eggs and rotifiers and people realized they dont live but in large heavily populated phyto dumped reefs with natural prey always available or target fed daily oyster eggs and rotifiers). they are still corals that should be avoided by 90% of reefers who have no chance of keeping them alive long term. Now that a few more people have had success I've noticed they are for sale much more frequently then 2-3yrs ago as if they are no longer difficult. do a search or google on them.

V

vince-1961

Stan, are you saying it's hungry and undernourished, as in starving?
I grow my own phytoplankton and pour it in the tank occassionally.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/2996484
Stan, are you saying it's hungry and undernourished, as in starving?
I grow my own phytoplankton and pour it in the tank occassionally.
Nope, I'm saying virtually all die in captivity but the ones that do survive usually require massive feeding or very dense large reefs with an endless supply of sps size zooplankton and larvae. I dont think anyone knows for sure exactly why they dont survive but feeding is the most common theory.
I too tried 3yrs ago and learned the hard way (and I knew the requirements and survival rate)

jackri

I don't feed my flower pot AT ALL and going on 10+ months looking and doing great under my halides. I have a good moderate flow over mine -- is it something that can be blown off? is the coral itself brown? Does it look like dead spots?
I know people have problems with these corals but so far I exclude myself in that group and haven't done anything but look at it.

V

vince-1961

Lighting is a nicer model T5 fixture, less than a year old. I shouild also mention that all my zoo frags I bought two months ago and attached at various places around the tank have also died as well and the macroalgae plant I bought (with rock attached) ain't looking too healthy either.
I got zeros across the board for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Stable pH at 8.3. Stable salinity at 1.25. Stable temperature at 76-77. Haven't tested for calcium or magnesium recently, but do run a CA reactor. Approx 12% water changed weekly. (250 gallon system.) Coralife brand salt is used. Water flow is approx. 15X gallonage via two Koralia 4's (700 gph each, if I recall), a closed loop with SCWDs at approx 1,000 gph, and the main sump pump at approx. 1,000 gph.

jackri

So it's more than just your flower pot...
Do you have phospates? Also anything you're adding to your system you should be checking -- like calcium/alk.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2996551
I don't feed my flower pot AT ALL and going on 10+ months looking and doing great under my halides. I have a good moderate flow over mine -- is it something that can be blown off? is the coral itself brown? Does it look like dead spots?
I know people have problems with these corals but so far I exclude myself in that group and haven't done anything but look at it.
8,9, 10 months does happen. Usually the year mark (which you are close to) is the standard for determining if they are going to make it or not. most make it to the 8-9 month mark if they dont die the first few months.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Just my two cents worth...maybe raise your temp to 79-80. My corals don't care to be that cold.
Meadbhb

V

vince-1961

No phosphates. I always use RO water. I was testing the CA/alk regularly, but I got tired of doing it so frequently since the readings were always perfect, presumably thanks to the CA reactor.
I suppose I could raise the temp a wee bit (especially now that summer is almost upon us, although I do have the chiller rigged up and ready to kick in at whatever temp I choose, which I guess I'll set at 80 instead of 78.)

V

vince-1961

Okay, so what happened to this mushroom? At 8 AM it was healthy. At 10 PM, the right side had changed to this deathly color.
??????
Attachment 222433
Attachment 222434
There were NO changes recently. And I mean, NONE, other than a regular (and usual by all parameters) water change this last weekend.

cmjreef

I agree with Stan. This is usually the way it ends. If not, it's the exception for sure. Red Goniopora stand a good chance of thriving for some odd reason, but green almost always perish after 6 mos. or so. Jackri, is your's green or red?

V

vince-1961

Jackri,
I was asking about the mushroom, not the goniopora per original post and name of thread.
Could it be stray voltage?

jackri

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/3006033
Jackri,
I was asking about the mushroom, not the goniopora per original post and name of thread.
Could it be stray voltage?
Ummmm.....

Pretty sure your post was about the goniopora as I am physically looking right at the original post and name of the thread unless I totally
missed something.
I have a green one by the way.

jackri

I know this is an old post... but going on a year with my green goniopora/flower pot... and I've picked off 2 babies with 2 more ready to pick. Here's a pic of the main colony and one of the babies. Been a super easy coral and good grower --- yes obviously I'm bored going through old posts at 5am