What's Wrong?

puffer32

Yep, some zoos need more flow then others, my pinks get more then my others, my lfs had them under a good flow, so i did the same, and they are my healthiest ones.

dodgersfan

yea, it's a mix of SMALL algae growth and waste.........i tried to blow some of it away, so hopefully they'll cheer up?
on a seperate note, my turbos dont seem to be eating a lot of the detirus and other crud on some of my live rock? in the beginning, they ate all of that stuff of the rocks and life was good............but now they seem to be lazy and not doing their job! is it just me or what?

smarls

Well, your phosphates are really high, and so algae growth will be a bit of an issue for you. I have the same problem with phosphates because of a cc sand bed.
Perhpas the turbos cannot keep up, or perhpas there is enough algae in easier to get to places, so they do not need to go through your zoas and harder to reach rocks. You could try adding more snails, although this will only help emliminate the algae but not the cause of the high phosphates.
You could try running Phosban or something like that to reduce your phosphates. Probably the best place to start is to try and figure out why your phosphates are so high...overfeeding? tap water? Basically the phosphates are comming from somewhere, and it would be time well spent to see where they are coming from.
With your comment of more detritus and algae...I would guess that you might be overfeeding, or maybe overstocked...but those are wild guesses wihtout knowing anyhting about your tank...so don't quote me!
HTh
Stewart

larrynews

hey thanks for the heads up on the sundial snail had one right in the middle of my zoos, just took him out..thanks

dodgersfan

so do the sundial snails EXCLUSIVELY eat zoos? do they just live amongst the bed of them or might they be snacking and then hiding somewhere else cuz i dont see any right now........

puffer32

Originally Posted by dodgersfan
so do the sundial snails EXCLUSIVELY eat zoos? do they just live amongst the bed of them or might they be snacking and then hiding somewhere else cuz i dont see any right now........
That i do not know. I do know mine were disappearing at an alarming rate, for afew months before i found the 2 in my colony, and i was looking for something, but when they turn sideways and snuggle deep into the colony, they are hard to see, i finally saw 1 when the polops were closed up real tight, and suspect they hitchhiked on the colony when i got it 6 months ago.

dodgersfan

hmmmm...........sounds scary, im guessing that these sundials are very small and hard to see? hopefully ill be able to notice it in time!