What's Your Favorite Auarist Book?

aquarook

I'm a beginner to this hobby and looking to pick up a couple fo books to begin my lengthy research. In a previous thread someone mentioned "Conscientous Marine Aquarist"...
Can you all recommend some more titles. If you have a couple of reference books you like please rank them.
Thanks,

J

jdragunas

That's the only book you'll ever need. It tells you everything.
Another great book to have is "the pocketexpert guide to marine fishes". This book tells you everything about 500+ fish, including max. lenght, min. aquarium size, foods, reef compatibility, what other species they're compatible with, and more.
Hope i've been helpful.
Jenn

stevil

Granted, I'm a newbie too, but I've found The Consientious Marine Aquarist to be extremely useful and informative. I also have the New Marine Aquarium Step-by-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael Paletta. It's smaller, but a good reference, especially as I begin to get my tank ready.
I also went to the library and checked out nearly everything they had on saltwater tanks, but these two books are all that I use now.

seahorse11

I really liked "The Simple Guide to Marine Aquariums" by Jeffrey Kurtz. I found the "Conscientious Aquarist" by Fenner very wordy and way too much information I didnt really need or really want. I ended up just skimming the pages for the useful information.
Jeffrey Kurtz gets to the point and gives step by step directions on everything a marine aquarist needs. The pictures in the book are excellent and he evens goes into detail on what NOT to do! I am a newbie (been in the SWF hobby for about 4 months).This is just my opinion.

aquarook

Thanks everyone, and don't worry Seahorse11, I like input from all Aquarists. I want to find the book that's right for me.

weberian

Same as stevil above. I'm on approximately day 50 with my first marine aquarium. There's some little white bugs on the front glass.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by seahorse11
I really liked "The Simple Guide to Marine Aquariums" by Jeffrey Kurtz. I found the "Conscientious Aquarist" by Fenner very wordy and way too much information I didnt really need or really want. I ended up just skimming the pages for the useful information.
Sooner or later much of that info will come in handy. It's a reference book for just that reason.
I'd recomend Fenner's book above all others. Better too much info than not enough. Plus, Fenner's website and quick email responses to questions are invaluable. For that reason alone I'd buy his book!
Michael's pocket guide to fish is also nice to have, once you start stocking your tank. I haven't really found a good "pocket" guide to corals yet.

S

sinner's girl

Another great book to have is "the pocketexpert guide to marine fishes". This book tells you everything about 500+ fish, including max. lenght, min. aquarium size, foods, reef compatibility, what other species they're compatible with, and more.
And they have Marine Invertebrates.
I love the Marine fishes. Conscientous Marine Aquarist was to basic for me...I didn't like it.
Ronald Smimek, Marine Invertebrates
Scott W. Michael, Marine Fishes

seahorse11

Dont laugh but I found "Saltwater Fish for Dummies" very helpful. I prefer the books that are simple and basic and are written for newbies and the "dummies" book was excellent. Again this is just my opinion.

J

jdragunas

I also thought "saltwater for dummies" was helpful, however, that was before i found SWF.com. That book didn't cover cycling very well, and i was freaking out when my trates and trites were outrageously high. Overall, this book is good for getting you aquainted with saltwater terms, but i don't think it's that great for you to base your whole saltwater system off of, IMO. :thinking:
jenn

ryan115

i also started off with the dummies book and Paletta's book, THe new marine aquarium. Both had great info, especially if you have a background in freshwater and want to make the switch