Whats your favorite brand MH bulb?

escape2thewater

Well its about that time for me to replace the bulbs in my 175w MH fixtures. The ones I have now are coralife 10k's. I have been considering replacing with 20k or something "bluer" like that. So whats your favorite brand & kelvin value & why? BTW I also have four 110w VHO superactinics.
Thanks,
KYle
:happyfish

robchuck

I've quickly become a fan of the Coralvue 15,000K bulb. I've got two of them running at 175W on my 65 and love the amount of blue they put out with 96W of actinic 03 PC supplementation. These bulbs replaced 10,000K bulbs. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics at this time.

nm reef

I also like the Ushio 10K's...combined with a pair of 110 watt URI super actinics the appearence is crisp white. I don't have first hand experience with any other MH's...but based on the first 6 months using the Ushios I see no reason to change.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by escape2thewater
Well its about that time for me to replace the bulbs in my 175w MH fixtures. The ones I have now are coralife 10k's. I have been considering replacing with 20k or something "bluer" like that. So whats your favorite brand & kelvin value & why? BTW I also have four 110w VHO superactinics.
Thanks,
KYle

Don't you need pulse start balasts to run anything over a 10000K on a 175 watt system?:notsure:

escape2thewater

Ok Ushio seems to be unanimous! Thanks for the input everyone, I just ordered an Ushio 10k bulb. Ill let you know how it works out when I get it installed.
KYle

I've abeen busy and didn't get to vote. We like the german made MH,250 watt, 10k and the MH 250, 20k, mogul base, with 2 electronic ballasts, and 2 X VHO's, 110 w ec., URI, super actinic, and moon lights. Total of 720 Watts X 2 tanks. We had to install drapes on our windows because our blue glow went half way into our Circle. Fish love it, pple are mesmerised.

scribben

400w 20000k radiums love the look its what i imagine looking into the reefs on the ocean would look like also 2 65w actinics 6500k to go with it

golfish

If I had to choose just one bulb it would have to be the Radium on the HQI ballast. The ballast has a lot to do with it. if I were running E ballasts I'd probably run the AB 10K bulb, maybe even the 10K XM.

escape2thewater

Wow! I havent checked this thread in a few days & I missed some feedback! Well thanks for replying to everyone! I have 4 vho super actinics 110w each, so I just ordered ushio 10k mh bulbs, well see how that works for me. I have coralife 10k's now, I liked how those looked when new so hopefully it will work good with the ushios.
Thanks,
KYle