What's your JOB?

megsm318

Could you please tell me what your job is and maybe what it entails. Also, I'm curious how you found the job (i.e. through a friend or through research).
I'm going into my senior year of college, and I really need to make up my mind as to what I'm gonna do when I get out. I thought this might help. Thanks!

megsm318

I'm double majoring in History and Psychology. I was thinking about law school or school psychology. Any ideas?

Im in my clinical psych doctoral program, first year, and I can tell you that I love the program. Its SO much better than the undergrad psych courses.
If you like psychology, look into that. Its very difficult to get into a good graduate school (more so than medical school or law school) but it can be done.

liontamer

Bussing tables is the way to go, woot woot. Actually, I was just cruising around town on my bike one day and decided I needed a job, and went to every restaurant I could find. I finally found one that was accepting 15 year old kids, and got hired. No friends or anything were there, I just needed a job. Of course, yer looking for like a REAL job, arent you? Well, if u like arguing and making a lot of money, then law school just might be the way to go. I know thats what im aiming for.

megsm318

Thanks for replying!
007: What do you plan on doing when you get out of the clinical psych program? How many years is your program? I know it is hard to get into grad programs...I've found that out with school psychology programs in CA. Do you have any advice for getting an edge...besides good test scores, gpa, and applications?
Fishtanker: I've heard people say they work in human resources, but I only kind of know what that entails. Do you work for a company or a school or what?

birdy

Well right now I have the hardest job in the world I am a Stay at home mom to 17mo old twins LOL.
BUT when I was in the "real world" I was a zookeeper, My major in college was Wildlife Biology. I wish I had just gone to one of the schools that actually has a major in Zoological Science, that correlated with working at a local zoo, but oh well. The pay was lousy, but benefits were pretty good. I worked there for 5yrs and left with a salary of $12.25 and hour. I loved every minute of working with those animals though.

tobruk

paper carrier / started a lawn service but Charlie / Frances have caused delays on finalizing the details / purchasing some equipment. Should be in gear by the end of September, if the insurance companies will start talking to people again.

mkengr45

engineer.
I sent resumes out to anyone and everyone that I could. I networked through people I knew that were engineers at big companys and got my resume spread all over the place. I always try to have as many options as possible. My bachelors, and Masters degrees are both in Mechanical Engineering and I had beautiful GPA and references, this helped a ton. Be able to interview the company and interviewer, just like they are interviewing you. Interviews dont have to be taken from a defensive stance, take the offensive and grill them just as they may grill you.
Randy

fishman830

i'm a jack of all trades, or so they say, i bus tables, host, and now, i food run, best job i can get until maybe 17 and maybe, just maybe 16, then i might be expoditing, that's what i'm shooting for.. great perks too, it's pretty much manigerial status, you know you get to read the managers log, free dinners that sorta st uff

T

tizzo

Yeah, I got it like Birdy. But when I DID work, I worked construction. Building stairs in new houses. I loved that job!! (I've always had "guy" jobs), but I'll tell you where the money is... The salesmen who sold the stair contracts. They were livin' in the same neighborhood as the Carolina Panther's coach!! Pharmeceutical, medical, construction, EMS...SALES!!
When I go back to school, I'm goin' for a business degree.:D

gasguzzler

Lets go in succession:
1. Dish washer
2. Line cook
3. Chef
4. Front end manager- retail store
5. Police Officer
6. Auto technician
Good luck figuring out what you want to be. I sure havent yet!

liontamer

Originally posted by Fishman830
i'm a jack of all trades, or so they say, i bus tables, host, and now, i food run, best job i can get until maybe 17 and maybe, just maybe 16, then i might be expoditing, that's what i'm shooting for.. great perks too, it's pretty much manigerial status, you know you get to read the managers log, free dinners that sorta st uff

I do all of that, and ive been at my job roughly 2 months now. I can be a prepper soon, but like bussing better. Free meals b4 my shift, hosting is the easiest job EVER!!! lol. But ill give ya a virtual pat on the bak anyway.

montidanae

"chef" if you want to call it that :rolleyes:
but im just saving for a car, to get a better job at the LFS and actualy start saving for college and money to get out of wisconsin and to never come back!

B

bocandoit

i am an hvac installer in new home construction. i work for a small company (12 people) and we are bar none the best heating contractors in the springs. we have gotten our heat loss down to less than 10% gaurenteed and can prove it, sometimes we can get it down to the only heat not going where it is supposed to be is from the furnace itself. i found my job from an ad in the paper.