whats your tank temp?

fishead

the temp in my house is 71 all year round but my tank temp is 78 to 80. The tank (75 gal) is built in a wall. the wall is hollow above and below and well ventilated. in the summer i have a pipe coming from the AC duct to blow cool air across the top of the water but in the winter i close it off while the heater is on. there are 2 powerhead moters and a skimmer motor in the tank generating heat and 380 watts of VHO lights that are on 8 hours in the evening. i want to get the tank temp down 5 degres. any cheap ideas? whats your tank temp?

fishead

that make me feel a little at ease but it just seams a little high to me, anyone else? whats your temp?

chipmaker

I try to keep mine at 81-82 deg and for many many years its not been a problem. I tend to view most folks keep their reef and FO tanks at too low of a temp anyhow. Just looking at the various online charts of reef temps of the world pretty well shows there is more reefs in the 80 to 84 deg range than are in the 75-78 deg range, and those inthe 70's rarely ever have much fauna collected for retail sales as does the higher temp reefs. I assume most foks keep their tanks art a lower temp "just in case"

fishead

feeling better now. i live in SC and my brother in ohio says his 90gal stays at 74 to 75 and told me he would freak if it got to 80. which had me worried about my temp. anyone else?