Wheels on tank stand

c42480

I have a 75 gallon tank and it is a pain to get in the back of the tank. I was thinking of building a stand my self and putting casters on it. I have 4 casters each is rated at 500lbs.
I figure i have 150lbs of rock 100 lbs of sand and a 20 gallon sump so a total of 90 gallons if there were nothing in either tank but water so thats about 720lbs plus the equipment and stand we will say another 100lbs. Thats a total of around 1090lbs. Do you think it will work?
Has anyone done this?
Chuck

michaeltx

not a good idea the main problem is that any shift in the tank can cause the glass to shatter
plus you will have 669 LBS just in water for the tanks plus the rock -sand-tank-and equipment. once its up on casters then you run the risk of the stand breaking since stands are built to be grounded all the way around the stand.
sorry good concept but not a ood idea.
Mike

c42480

What if all 4 corners and the surface the tank sits on and the one the wheels attach to were all 4 X 4? That shoud not flex. Also i will use 6 wheels.
Chuck

michaeltx

you still have a movement problem even if you get it all supprorted if you went to move it you risk the tank shattering becuase the shift in water weight. even a small amount of water can cause massive damage to the glass panels.
Mike

c42480

Thanks I was just hopeing that i could make it a little easier. I see what your saying i just in my mind did not want to belive. Oh well it was a good idea in my head.
Chuck

michaeltx

yeah good concept just bad idea LOL I wish something like that would work though it would make things much easier inthe back of the tank LOL
Mike

skipperdz

well you can always knock out the wall behind the tank. then you just walk to the back and do what ya need to do. ive seen setups where the tank is in one room and the access to all the outlets and wiring is in the next room.

Originally Posted by skipperdz
well you can always knock out the wall behind the tank. then you just walk to the back and do what ya need to do. ive seen setups where the tank is in one room and the access to all the outlets and wiring is in the next room.
LOL My husband actually wanted to do this! We live in a triple-wide manufactured home and the tank sits across supporting section so it's a great place, just isnt really feasible right there plus the expense- great idea tho.