When a fish get sick, will my other fish get sick also?

sawduster

I have a 80 gallon tank, Sump and protein skimmer up and running for 5 months
It had 2 clown, one 6 line wrasse, one coral banded shrimp, and one tuxedo Urchin.
I purchase a yellow tang and always use the drip method for climitizing.
The tang died 4 days later the store gave me a yellow tail damsel in exchange.
It died 4 days later.
Then my two clowns died 5 days later.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0.25
PH 8.1
Calcium 400
SG 1.024
Temp 76.7
MY 6 Line Wrasse , coral banded shrimp , and the Tuxedo Urchin is all that survived they are doing great .All those fish died two weeks ago
Anyone have any clue on what could this be?

nicetry

Were there any symptoms or visible problems with the fish that died? white spots, heavy breathing, red streaks, failure to eat, faded colors or cloudy eyes, awkward swimming?
It's almost impossible to say what happened unless there was something you might have observed with the fish. If it was a parasite problem, the chance of the other fish being sick is pretty high. At this point, don't add anything else but watch the others closely for signs of illness. Can you give a time line as to when you added these fish? (how long ago was each one placed in the tank).

sawduster

Originally Posted by nicetry
Were there any symptoms or visible problems with the fish that died? white spots, heavy breathing, red streaks, failure to eat, faded colors or cloudy eyes, awkward swimming?
It's almost impossible to say what happened unless there was something you might have observed with the fish. If it was a parasite problem, the chance of the other fish being sick is pretty high. At this point, don't add anything else but watch the others closely for signs of illness. Can you give a time line as to when you added these fish? (how long ago was each one placed in the tank).
There was no symptoms or visible problems except for a day before they died they were not eating and the eyes were not clear ..I have a 80 gallon corner tank with a metal Halide light 14000 kelvin and a T5 -24 watt light so i do not shock the fish when the halide light goes out... I had my clown fish in the tank for 3 months and only had this problem when I purchase the tang.

renogaw

it is quite possible that you introduced a virus or bacteria or fungus to your tank. This is why a quarantine tank is SO VITAL!
btw, your LFS screwed you over by giving you a damsel in exchange for a tang. the damsel should cost about $5...

myreef05

yellow tangs here are $30-$40 and damsels are $4-9. Why did they give you such a cheap fish?
Anyway, when I buy fish i always watch them for several days and ask to see them eating before I buy. If they are being fed brine shrimp, I do not buy fish there.
I will also QT all new fish for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. ALWAYS
Also what are the dimensions of your tank? I have not seen an 80gallon before.
To small for a tang anyway most hobbiest believe.

sawduster

Originally Posted by myreef05
yellow tangs here are $30-$40 and damsels are $4-9. Why did they give you such a cheap fish?
Anyway, when I buy fish i always watch them for several days and ask to see them eating before I buy. If they are being fed brine shrimp, I do not buy fish there.
I will also QT all new fish for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. ALWAYS
Also what are the dimensions of your tank? I have not seen an 80gallon before.
To small for a tang anyway most hobbiest believe.
there is no gaurantee for marine fish if they die to bad the fish store gave me a damsel to keep my businness ..I cannot understand why my clowns died and not my 6 line wrasse ..my 80 gallon corner tank is very big and deep lots of room for one Tang ...I will not add any fish until this fall and they will be cheap fish for sure.