when anemones strike back!

shrimpi

Hey all,
As you may know I have a 24g AP reef.
I have a small carpet anemone in there for a few months that has begin to get big. I decided to take him out and bring him to the LFS.
This AM I saw an opportunity to peel his foot off his rock (I have tried this before and was unsucessful- I dont want to injure my anemone). So, it worked, and the anemone came loose!
I guess he was mad. very mad, because when I moved him into a soapdish (waiting for LFS to open) he stung me. I have never been one to have sensitive skin, or get 'red' or rashes easy. Im a pretty tough cookie.
Here is the nem eating, and a pic with his 'tenant'

heres the reason you should wear those long gloves to protect you. especially when you have a christmas party to go to tomorrow to meet your husbands co workers. This is on my right forearm.

It burns like fire!!
All the little white spots are like mini blisters and there is more on my palm and further down my arm near my elbow too. The only way i can relate it is about 8 years ago I was in Grand Cayman and I went snorkeling on a 'private' beach and got stung by this atrocity of a jellyfish/man o war looking creature that I swear was as big as me!
Yikes!
Protect yourself guys! This hurts :(
Jess

lmecher

YIKES!
I feel for you, I keep mini carpets and one got stuck to the side of my finger while trying to remove some for sale. Mine was very small yet painful. I can only imagine what your going through, mine was nothing compared to that. Your arm looks as if you went for a swim in your tank. I am curious how long it's going to take for the pain and swelling to subside. Post an update.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2880577
http://web.me.com/scubamedic/MyLife/...It_Begins.html
yuk subie! I read that whole thing
poor guy.
I dont have any breaks in the skin so I think Im ok.
Im actually a surgical tech so Im pretty comfortable assessing the wound myself without a doctors opinion, but if it looks any different tomorrow AM Im gonna go see my PCP.
For now, Im going to take this anemone to the LFS (little bugger is lucky he didnt get the blender) Im going to show the owner my arm (hes a nice guy) and Im going to put cortisone cream on it and take some benedryl so we will see what it looks like in the AM!
He has never stung me like this before, even though there have been times where he 'grabbed' me with his sticky-ness when I got too close. I think this was a fight/flight defense mechanism because I removed him from the rock.
Im actually pretty suprised because I was able to remove him quite easily once I got an edge up, and it wasnt a 'struggle' and it didnt take more than 5 minutes. All things considered, it should have been... painless

Jess

snakeblitz33

Eh, that's why I don't truely like anemones. They're pretty, but they are also a pain in the butt sometimes. (or at least forearms.)
Welcome back shrimpi!

shrimpi

hey all,
update on the battle wound..

the swelling has almost totally subsided but the areas in the pic that look 'stung' and white all turned into tiny little blisters almost like ant bites and itched like hell after the first night (I think it was kinda numb the first day, but as soon as the blisters showed up it was like a sea lice feeling)
Its better now, but I still wouldnt recommend trying it! haha

Jess