when buying fish from a LFS

sh2000

I bought a yellow belley hippo today from my LFS hes going with another blue tang in the 55 for QT until they go into thier new LARGER homes...the blue tang is 3 inches the yellow belly is 6 inches...my question is i watched these fish for months and they were doing fine and under strong light but i drove hom and acclimated them anmd they were not under intense lighting for several hours...this is different from ordering online when they are in a black bag for 30 hours...so to help them not get stressed out after acclimation i turned on the moon lights only...so far for 30 min.. I have an actinic switch and a cf white switch each switch is 130w ...how should I start the lighting cycle as not to stress them out ?...they were under PC's or CF's not halide lights so they are used to about the same lighting...thanks

sh2000

again trial and error i enjoy being ignored as i get to try new things ill post the results after to help other ppl in the future so they don't make any mistakes i did. y^

lexluethar

Although lighting may have a 'shock' factor, i really think as long as they aren't going from a black bag into a tank with MH turned on they will be okay. The lighting in your house while drip acclimating them should be sufficient. You did the right thing by having your moon lights on and acclimating them in that way prior to having the main lights on.
I don't think light acclimation is a big thing, just as long as you aren't going from one extreme to another they should adjust fine.

jessica47421

yes i agree i think you should be fine, i have heard that ppl turn their lights off once they get new fish for a while just to relax them some. but i dont think you have too. good luck

ophiura

It is often a very good thing to do, as it can calm aggressive fish. It can effectively put them into "sleep" mode, and as many are not visually accute, they may not see a new introduction all that well to go after them.