when do i add the salt?

dreeves

You should maybe consider staying with freshwater tanks...saltwater tanks require alot more balanced of a system...we try to replicate in our little enclosed systems what ma nature has had millions of years to perfect...water being the most important of this eco system...you can use tap water, but is it worth the headache down the road? I tried the tap water routine before I new any better...now I own an RO/DI setup. The bottom line is, it is your tank you do with it what you please...we can only advise and try and steer you into a better direction to take with it...
Good luck.

dragracer

See, there you went and assumed I didn't have the proper test equiptment. But thats ok, not everyone can read between the lines, I should have clarified myself. I had the water tested by the same lab that tests the pool water at the high school I work at. But yes, even though you seem to find it hard to beleive, our country well water is very very clean. So in fact, yes I do use it for salt water.....and no I havent had any problems at all as far as my water goes. But thanks for assuming I would have problems.

dugan

My family isnt too pleased with buying filtered water from a store.
For your 72, if you buy 36 gallons of water from LFS at 40 cents a gallon, that's an investment of $14.40. That's less than you will likely pay for any fish in the tank. For water changes of 7 gallons a month plus topoffs of maybe another 7 gallons, that's $5.60 a month to maintain your tank's water parameters. Actually, probably the cheapest
way to ensure the overall health of your livestock.
at what time can i add the salt?
As I posted earlier, mix your water in a bucket with the salt and put a powerhead in to aerate overnight. Never add salt directly to your tank without mixing and aerating.
or what if i added hose water from outside? is that better or worse then tap?
Hose water = tap water. It's the source of the water that counts.
say u added salt to tap watter is there any way to make it beter concidering that salt is so expensive
Once you have your tank set up, you will only need the salt for water changes. Top-offs are done with fresh water (salt doesn't evaporate). Get a 200 gallon bucket, it should last you a while. There really isn't any way to make tap water perfect.
But yes, even though you seem to find it hard to beleive, our country well water is very very clean.
What did they test for? Phosphates, silicates, nitrates, ammonia? You might have wanted to mention that in your original post... if you're comfortable with it, go for it. Do realize that the makeup of your tap water can change from day to day.

Look you guys... you come here asking for our advice and we give it to you. It is the opinion of the vast majority of the experienced SW aquarists on this forum that RO or RO/DI water is clearly superior to tap water. With RO water you KNOW you are not introducing certain harmful elements into your fragile ecosystem. With tap water, it's like playing Russian Roulette.
We aren't telling you to use RO water because we all secretly have stock in an RO factory... it's because we want you to succeed and we want your animals to be healthy.
Katie

velocity

shut the hell up mysticgal22
lol ur soo funny haahah ROLFMAO lol- SHUT UP!!
god ur just assuming that im not going to get the RO water. My last post clearly stated if it was ok to go with half tap water and half filtered water. I never said that i was going to not get the RO water dumbass!! god maybe if u learn to read and comprehend what i am saying, maybe you could spell dollers* right. Im not a lazy bum i can easily go to the grocery dtore to get some RO water so chill out buddy. Im never asking one of these questions again if thats the response im going to get :rolleyes:
calem seems to be a newbie and what do you do? You spit his question right back at him. How do you think thats going to go for your personality?

velocity

For your 72, if you buy 36 gallons of water from LFS at 40 cents a gallon, that's an investment of $14.40. That's less than you will likely pay for any fish in the tank. For water changes of 7 gallons a month plus topoffs of maybe another 7 gallons, that's $5.60 a month to maintain your tank's water parameters. Actually, probably the cheapest way to ensure the overall health of your livestock.
i was unaware that u only had to get 36 gallons. I would figure 72 but 36 is ok. thank you

dugan

i was unaware that u only had to get 36 gallons. I would figure 72 but 36 is ok. thank you
Well it's just an estimate... once you add your substrate and your LR the water volume to fill your tank will be significantly decreased, KWIM?
For my 35 gallon I have a 3-4" DSB, 55# of LR and I think it only took somewhere around 15 gallons of water to fill the tank.
But heck, even if you were adding 72 gallons of water, that's still only $28.80. That's really not bad when you consider the cost of the tank, stand, lighting, filtration, sand, heater/chiller, skimmer, salt, fish, detrivores, live rock... When you invest $1000+ in a tank, 29 bucks seems like a bargain.
Katie

cnlight

I thought I would chime in with my experience with tanks filled with both RO and tap. All the tank seemed fine at first, no problems. Then when the algae started to grow, in the tap water tank it was a slimy brown. In the tank with RO water it was starting to grow in green. Over time the tap water tank became cloudy with suspended algae and no matter how many water changes I did, it wouldn't go away. Then my fish started to die, one by one they each died.
The tank with the RO water, that tank was crystal clear and the fish had excellent color. The green algae never became a problem and there are always critters to eat it. After seeing my tanks and the results the water differences, I would never go back to tap water, expecially when dealing with $50 to $100 fish. Its your call of course, but why risk it, thats all I have to say. Good Luck :happyfish

dragracer

You're right. I appologize for not stating that I had a lab test and what they tested for. I came off a little strong. Truth is there are three other people on my road who have salt tanks. One man has had one up and running for 7 years and he has always used his well water, and has never had problems. I was sceptical yes, but after seeing his tank params I was convinced. So I took a sample of my water to work and gave it to the lad guy and he sent me the results saying that our well water was exeptionally well(no pun...ah never mind) So only then did I set up a 10 gallon test tank with filtration, shallow sand bed. cycled it and found my params right were they should be. Thats when I set up my 55 gallon tanks with well water. And in a year i have never had a tap water related problem. I did however have a Trigger hording dead turbos into his cave problem. I thought they were in my LR, but secretly they were rotting and polluting in Huma-man's cave. MAjor ammonia problem, but after two 20%changes with well water the water is back to the proper params. Again, I appologize and appreciate all the info I get from all of ya'll, its very helpful. I learn something new here every day. Like today, being narrow minded causes large debates.
I also learned that Velocity can be very disrespectful towards others. Hey pal you can make points without the name calling and cursing......kids read this!! Grow up please.

cnlight

That is a good point to make Dragracer. Your water is suitable for having a tank, but many of us are not so fortunate. I don't think many of us have the ability to test our water like you did and there fore can not tell if you water is safe enough for our fish. Because Velocity is starting out, I still recommend that they use RO so as not to have any upsets later on down the line.

velocity

ok well first off i am sorry but this mystical person really got to me. anyway i told my dad that 40 gallons would be enough( hes buying it for Xmas) if i get 40 gallons and put it in the tank, can i add the sand while putting the salt in at the same time or no? do i have to wait for the salt to accumilate in the water b4 adding anything? and how long does it take b4 i can add anything to the tank?

dragracer

Well some would say add the mixed salt water first then add the sand........I don't do it that way, I added the DSB then added the mixed water. You have to let your tank cycle. If you have LR.......cycle it with that if its uncured.......if not........drop two chunks of storebought fresh shrimp. It usually taked a month to cycle a tank, then test it for maybe another two weeks........in second though......I am not a pro yet, wait and get some answers from more seasoned veterans.

velocity

so do i have to add the salt to the water in a seperate bucket then add it too then tank? and if so how long does it take for the salt to mix in with the water so i can add it to the tank

dragracer

Thats how I do it........well you can usually see if its all dissolved........what kind of salt do you have. I would recommend Instant Ocean.....but thats just my preference

velocity

yeah i will use instant ocean. can i mix the proper amount of salt in the same containers as the RO water and then when they r all mixed dump them in? and how long as in time does it take for the salt to be mixed in the water to put in the tank?

dugan

Velocity.... me again....
you should know this from all of the research I'm sure you are doing... BUT...
OK here is what you need to do.... it may well take a few days to get your tank ready to cycle
.... patience is KEY in this hobby.
Get your substrate, rinse it WELL. Put it in the tank.
At the same time, start mixing your SW. Use those 5 gallon buckets... RO (!) water and salt with a PH. Leave the PH to aerate for 24 hours per bucket. You want about a 1.021-ish specific gravity.
Add the SW after it's had 24 hours of aeration. Get your temp up to 82 degrees or so.
Here is when your LR should come in... add it... aquascape and consider tossing a frozen shrimp or two in your tank to get your cycle going. Decaying shrimp = ammonia = initiation of cycle.
Test your water... depending on the amount of your LR and how well it is cured, your tank may be ready for fish in anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Your ammonia, nitrites both need to be at 0 and nitrates 10 or less before you even THINK about adding fish. If you need more info on the cycle please post... if you add fish before your cycle is over you will kill fish and less importantly, waste your money.
Once your cycle is over... DO NOT add all of your fish at once... you have a new and fragile ecosystem... any fluctuation will cause a mini-ammonia spike. The key is to have a biofilter in place that will be capable of handling it.
OK so there's the big plan... we should talk more when your cycle is over... DO NOT use damsels to cycle and DO NOT give in to the temptation to add fish before your biofilter is ready.
Katie

dugan

I do not have AIM anymore but you can always email me...
dugan2b.............yahoo
You know how it works... I'm trying to avoid spam.
P.S. Be nice to the other kids around here please...
Katie

dugan

I'd turn on the filter as soon as the tank is full of water... it wil help get rid of the dust... don't start skimming until your cycle is done.
Katie