When Do You Perform Water Tests?

waterworld

I would like to poll all in when you perform water parameter tests in relation to water changes.
Do you test:
How often?
Half way between water changes?
Just after water changes?
Just before water changes?
Or are there other factors you use in deciding when to do your tests?
I have always tested the day before I perform my water changes with the thinking this is going to be "Worst Case" water quality. If my water passes this test my tank is not experiencing worse conditions at any other time.
Thoughts?
WW

steve24

i have a 55, i do water changes "every" week. i do my tests every other week a day after i do the water changes. now i test pH, Cal, Alk, Phos, Trates and salinity...
steve

brandons

I perform water changes every 3 weeks. Only because for 80 gallons I only have a cleaner shrimp and two small fish. It takes 3 weeks for the nitrates to get upto 10ppm.
I test my water every week, sometimes 2 times a week if for some reason I get an urge to test it a second time. When I do a water change I usually check it shortly there after.

rusting

Originally Posted by Waterworld
I would like to poll all in when you perform water parameter tests in relation to water changes.
Do you test:
How often?
Half way between water changes?
Just after water changes?
Just before water changes?
Or are there other factors you use in deciding when to do your tests?
I have always tested the day before I perform my water changes with the thinking this is going to be "Worst Case" water quality. If my water passes this test my tank is not experiencing worse conditions at any other time.
Thoughts?
WW
Water on Monday water test three days later.

taznut

right now i have having a mini cycle so im testing everyday... is this ok or wasteful??? should i do small water changes everyday??? im doing 10%/week in my 20 gal now...

michaeltx

if you have livestock in the tank yes do water changes and keep a close eye on the water parameters if there is no stock in there then dont do water changes and allow the water to matinate in itself so to speak. but I usually tested the day before water change to see if I might need to change more water than normal because of readings when soemthing starting look alittle bit off the day or 2 after water change and 2-3 times a week when I wasnt doing water changes its a first responder thing youll always know where the tank is at.
mike

acrylic51

I honestly don't test that often, unless looking to change or tweak something that I've been doing....After a while your corals and fish are your indicators as to what's going on with your system.....I don't recommend this for everyone all the time.......There are indicators that are animals give us....

hatessushi

I test 2 times a week. Both times I do main tests of alk,nitrates, nitrites,ammonia,ph,calcium and the second time I also do Phos,iodine,mag,stron,silicates. I actually test salinity,PH,temp,Orp digitally in real time and keep a bar chart on each for history. All is recorded in my journal along with everything that happens in my tank, as well as maintenance, and inhabitant activities.
The biggest help of all is how healthy the inhabitants look, so they basically tell you how they feel.