When is it Safe to Add Clams

euphoria

How long must a tank be setup for, on average, to start putting clams in it? My tank's been up since the beginning of the year and I'd love to start some clam collection in it.
Thanks

nm reef

When you have adaquate lighting...and all water parameters are established and stable. Could be as soon as three months (possibly less) after cycling a system. The key is lighting and stable conditions.

euphoria

I have 3x250W MH lights (14k's) and 2x165w VHO's.
the tank has been up since january 01 of this year.
ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are at 0, phosphate around 0.1, and average calcium 420 (although I'm slowly raising it) and average alk is 9 dkH. magnesium is low right now, around 1000, and I"m also working on stabilizing that.
When you say stable, do you mean as far as amm, nitrites/ates, or should I also wait for stability in mag/calcium/alk as well?
Thanks

ninjamini

Humm tank set up for 5 weeks...you want a clam....humm. I just saying here but perhaps you need to slow down. First get a fish...then another...then some simple coral...then some more coral. In about 12 months lets readdress the issue.
Slow. Thats the name of the game.
Fast =

Slow =

misty927

He's not exactly a newbie ninjamini...he says he has two years experience. If your tank is stabilized and you have adequate lighting, I say go for it.

rubberduck

I have the question too. i have a 55 gallon 500 watts mh and pc act so it would be 15" mfrom a 150 mh. no fish and it is stable as only b ionic is added. so stable conditions, so would i be ok with a squamosa or derasea? I might feed a litte oyster eggs now and then... it has about medium flow where its at and the tank is 3 1/2 months old.
Is all this OK for a clam...thx
travis

ktsdad

Originally Posted by Minority
I thought clams were filter feeders. Why the lighting?
Here is a quote from another website explaining why clams need light.
"Proper lighting is the most critical parameter essential to the well being of giant clams. Tridacna clams not only filter nutrients from the water to satisfy their dietary needs, but also employ algae cells within their mantle called zooxanthellae. These algae cells require light as well as nutrients from both the clam and the water to properly photosynthesize. The clam then utilizes the energy the algae cells produced through photosynthesis to aid in its growth.
Clams therefore require moderate to high lighting conditions, ideally supplied by power compact fluorescent fixtures or metal halide fixtures. If using fluorescent fixtures, simply place the clam closer to the light source."
Hope it helps!

T

tizzo

The crocea, squasmosa, maxima and derasa clams all need light. The sand burrowing ones are the ones that don't.
Euphoria, the stability he was talking about are things that you mentioned and also temperature, and calcium and alk. You don't want them shifing much one way or the other. If you are keeping other corals, especially stonies, then your tank is most likely stable.
When you do purchase a clam though, look close for parasitic snails on it's shell and it's mantle (the ones in the mantle look like grains of sand)! Also try to buy one that's over 4 inches long if you can, they are more likely to thrive on their own zooxanthellae where as a smaller one may not produce enough... And an open but not gaping mouth.
HTH

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK
I have the question too. i have a 55 gallon 500 watts mh and pc act so it would be 15" mfrom a 150 mh. no fish and it is stable as only b ionic is added. so stable conditions, so would i be ok with a squamosa or derasea? I might feed a litte oyster eggs now and then... it has about medium flow where its at and the tank is 3 1/2 months old.
travis
You have enough light, but why in the world are you adding b ionic??

promisetbg

There seems to be a confusion between experience of keeping a reef..and the reef's stability..which comes with maturity...which will not happen in a 6 week old tank no matter who you are.Stable does'nt mean your cycle has ended. Wait at least until the 8-10 month mark,by then the tank should have gone through it's algae blooms etc. and the tank should be stable.

rubberduck

Originally Posted by Tizzo
You have enough light, but why in the world are you adding b ionic??
im adding it because i have a few collonies of sps corals thriving in my tank. my cluster acro is taking in lots.
travis

promisetbg

im adding it because i have a few collonies of sps corals thriving in my tank. my cluster acro is taking in lots.
travis
If you were my customer I would have told you the same...acros should'nt be in a new tank either. Good luck.

crzyfshygy

:notsure:
travis
Rubberduck......did read you have 500 watt MH in a 55!!!
That rocks...What are they 250s'??/ I wanted to put 2x250 in my 65 but thought it would be a bit much. How do you like your set up???? Got any pics.

rubberduck

nope i have 2 150's and 2 96 actinic pc's. I said 500 watts mh/pc. but yeah the tank is stable and im fragging the acros as they are growing relativly fast. and yeah i wouldnt have put any sps in but my lfs gave me a free sps to use as a test subject for my tank. since that did relativly well, i added 2 more collonies. one a small pocilliapora that has new coralites on it and a collony of acropora which has great growth. They are all about 6 inches from my mh eccept my acro is almost out of the water so hes like 3 1/2 inches directly under a new 150 watt bulb. I test all the time and find the water fine with no amonia, nitrate, or nitrites. So for now it seems stable but i wont add fish for probly another month to keep the tank stable.
would i be ok adding a small 3-4 inch derasea clam. I would have the light the flow. would this hardy species of clam be able to thrive in my system.
travis

promisetbg

I test all the time and find the water fine with no amonia, nitrate, or nitrites. travis
What about Alk,PH,CA, and PO4 ?

waterpolo

Originally Posted by ktsdad
Here is a quote from another website explaining why clams need light.
"Proper lighting is the most critical parameter essential to the well being of giant clams. Tridacna clams not only filter nutrients from the water to satisfy their dietary needs, but also employ algae cells within their mantle called zooxanthellae. These algae cells require light as well as nutrients from both the clam and the water to properly photosynthesize. The clam then utilizes the energy the algae cells produced through photosynthesis to aid in its growth.
Clams therefore require moderate to high lighting conditions, ideally supplied by power compact fluorescent fixtures or metal halide fixtures. If using fluorescent fixtures, simply place the clam closer to the light source."
Hope it helps!

Yes zooxanthellae algae provide not only nutrients to the clam and many corals as well, but their color and in return the clam gives it protection and a nutrient rich enviroment. It's a mutual relationship, a type of sybiosis.