when is this nitrite goin down?

bicolor225

The Nitrite in my tank will not go down and its has been like for the past week it stays at .30ppm even after a water change what am i to do?The Ammonia is at zero ppm so im not worried aboutthat and one more thing what does my nitrate level have to be at. right now it is 60ppm.thank you
-Bicolor

bigarn

RO=Reverse Osmosis. All impurities are taken out of the water.
This is what you should use for top offs and water changes.
To lower nitrates do 10% weekly water changes with RO water, be sure you have good circulation throughout the tank, don't overfeed and have a good clean up crew. :D
You will get more responses if you post this under New Hobbyists. :yes:

bigarn

You can buy it at your LFS or probably grocery store.
You can also invest in a RO unit, they start at about 100 bucks,but are worth it in the long run. :D

bigarn

Ask for RO water....There's no salt in it. Use this for topoffs. When doing water changes add salt (IMO Oceanic) let it mix for 24hrs in a container with a PH before adding to your tank. :D

J

jacob_poly

Go to Walmart and buy a 5 gallon refillable can ( I think its white in color). Fill water from the unit there. Thats RO water than has been treated and sediment filtered.....I use that and my tank is doing great....however if your tank is still cycling its not unnatural for your nitrites and nitrates to be high for a while. Keep doing large water changes.

bicolor225

yes it is currently cycling right now and i tested the water again like 5 min ago the nitrate was 15ppm i was like WTF so i tested it again and it was the same. sorry guys for putting thru this next time when i setup a new tank i will use your information.
Thank you so much.
-Bicolor

T

thomas712

DO NOT KEEP DOING WATER CHANGES on a cycling tank, let it take its course. Doing water changes only prolongs the cycle.
Doing water changes with tap water may only reintroduce new nitrates.
My suggestion is to let the cycle ride itself out, when your ammonia and nitrItes are 0 for a week then do a 30% water change to get the nitrates down.
Perfectly natural for your spikes to go high, let it ride.
Theres nothing liveing in the tank right?
Thomas

T

thomas712

In that case then I guess I would agree with small water changes to reduce the toxic two, ammonia and nitrites.
I get my RO water from Meijer, they have an RO machine for 29 cents per gallon refill price. I use the 5 gallon water cooler bottles.
Good luck and next time you cycle a tank use a raw coctail shrimp.
Thomas