When ordering LR online do you have to cure it yourself when you get it?

I have a 55 gal tank with a UGF, PowerHead, and a hang on the back filter. I just added 3 damsels yesterday to start cycling the tank. All my LFS live rock prices are anywhere from 6.99 - 7.99 per lb. I dont want to pay these prices when i know i can get it for 3.99 per lb. So im gonna order about 25 lbs of this stuff to put in my tank. I have read that when you order 100% cured live rock and have to have it shipped to you, that you actually have to cure it all over again. I agree and believe this, but what im wondering is, since i just started my tank would it hurt to go ahead and stick it in the tank now since its not already established and let the tank cure it or will this hurt my cause? Also, would the LR i will be adding and the filtration that I have be enough for a reef tank? Thanks for any info.... you can email me at mwilke@tellico.net :D

fshhub

the die off will more than likely kill any fish in the tank, so you need to cure it first, before adding to your tank, if you want it cheaper yet,
you could take out the damsels and use the rock to cycle the tank too, then that would solve both problems, cycle the tank,a nd cure the rock simultaniously
as for the filtration, yes the lr will add to it, and should be enough, providing you have enough circulation, but IMO, i don't like cc and a ugf, especially in reefs, ther are others who disagree

nm reef

Tellico...yup....you can add the lr to your system.....even if it ships cured it will have some die off......in a new system the addition of lr can aid in the cycle process....you could even order un-cured and maybe save more money......as for your filtration....I'd get rid of the UGF.......personally I think its best to develope a system with a dsb(4-6 inches)...anywhere from 1-2 lbs of lr per gal...a skimmer rated to handle the water volume...a refugium if there is room ....and let the system cycle/stabalise/mature.......a slow process but in the long run a beneficial one.......

You say you dont like CC and a UGF? What do you mean by CC? sorry im a newbie :D
and thanks for the information its really helpful to have a msg board like this.

biggdriver

The abrev. cc means crushed coral..the substrate you put on your undergravel filter...I too would recommend using a dsb..Deep sand bed..at least 4inches thick take out the cc and the undergravel and add the sand. Undergravels and cc tend to collect a lot of detritus..Dirt, etc and are very hard to keep clean..They will also contribute to a higher level of nitrates..something you don't want for many corals..the thick layer of sand will do 2 things the top layer will harbour bacteria that will break the fish waste or ammonia down into nitrites and then nitrates..The lower layer which is oxygen deficient harbours bacteria that will break down the nitrates into hydrogen gas and thenit will dissipate into the air via the waters surface..Another reason it helps to have surface water movement...This should greatly help keep your water paramiters down to where you want them ..But don't neglect to use "clean; water that is nitrate and phosphate free preferably RO/Di water..Buying a good RO unit willsave alot of headaches and problems in the future
Another thing you might want to look into is a refugium..Do a search for it on this sight for further details ..unless someone else would like to type for a while.....GOOOD LUCK