when should i change my water

marty

Has the tank completely cycled yet? If not, I have read here that you should wait until it completely cycles (i.e. 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites).

jastim

Definitely wait until the tank is completely cycled to change any water. After that the most important advice I can give you is to establish a routine and STICK TO IT. Do 5% a week, 15-20% a month, or a gallon every day. Do whatever works best with your schedule but do it regularly. Also, keep an eye on nitrates (and of course ammonia and nitrites). Depending on what you have in your tank, you may need to establish your water changes based on how quickly you accumulate nitrates. If you use lr this may not be as big a problem.

jastim

Definitely wait until the tank is completely cycled to change any water. After that the most important advice I can give you is to establish a routine and STICK TO IT. Do 5% a week, 15-20% a month, or a gallon every day. Do whatever works best with your schedule but do it regularly. Also, keep an eye on nitrates (and of course ammonia and nitrites). Depending on what you have in your tank, you may need to establish your water changes based on how quickly you accumulate nitrates. If you use lr this may not be as big a problem.