When the turbos eat everything...then what?

• Thread starter starfishjackedme
  • Start date
S

starfishjackedme

I have a 200gal with a 55gal sump. I have 180lbs of LR. After the algae bloom I bought 150 snails to eat it all up bc it was smothering everything. Now the snails (30 Astrea, 120 turbos) have eaten all the hair algae, and polished the LR and tank clean. Now what? Should I sell some of them back? Keep in mind I have 1200watts of halides and 760watts of VHOs over this tank. I moved a few to the sump where I am growing caulerpa. I don't think they really have anything to eat now. How many should I sell back if any at all? BTW 1 per gal is way too many.

S

starfishjackedme

I'll be beack to check on this. BTW I am thinking of selling 50 back to the LFS...

option720

I certainly think you could sell them back to the LFS. When are you going to put corals in that tank? 200 Gallons, 2000 watts of light, and no corals...just live rock? Make that tank your small peice of the ocean.

D

diatom

Star~
I think the usual rule of thumb is 1:2-3 Gal. See if you can trade half to 2/3 of them back for store credit.
If set up correctly, your tank really shouldn't have any use for anymore then that and they will start to starve off.
HTH
D~

dburr

Wont thet eat the caulerpa? I think the idea of a refug is not to have peditors in their.

D

diatom

Dburr~
They shouldn't bother the Macro Algae, these snails aren't really considered preditors either...they eat film algae.

I wish I had your problem, my snails barely keep up as it is. U have enough light to keep the food warm at Mcdonalds! :D

S

starfishjackedme

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think I am going to trade some in. There just isn't anything for them to eat anymore. You would think the 3 400watt halides would keep it growing, but it seams like the caulerpa starved it off. Anyway, now I guess it is time to add some corals...thanks!

kevin01

Hey, on a side note, glad to see a few South Texans here. I don't know if your city water is bad the stuff up here in College Station isn't even worth drinking much less putting fish in.