When to add Sargassum Trigger

alvin

I saw a Sargassum Trigger at my LFS for $99. I am thinking about purchasing it, but I was wondering if these are the type that should be added last?
I currently have 2 Firefish Goby's and 2 Ocellaris Clownfish.
I am also thinking about adding a Blue Hippo tang, Magnificent Foxface, and Lyretail Anthias or others one day.
But yah, would I be safe if I add a Sargassum before the other fish I am thinking about getting?

spanko

Dartfish (firefish) and triggers = no.
Seems to me the trigger should be last added in your list of fish.

alvin

I used to have 2 firefish goby's with a BlueJaw Trigger before. Hmm... What fish to add next then.

aquaknight

I've only ever heard of a large Crosshatch munching on small fish, never a Blue Jaw, or especially a Sargassum. While most triggers are created equal, Xanthichthys aren't. They are very shy on introduction. I really would suggest adding the Sargassum early on. The fish on the wanted-to-add list should be fine added with a Sargassum.

alvin

That's what I thought. I know that when I had a Blue Jaw before, it was very shy and not aggressive at all. So I'm thinking that the Sargassum would be the same. I'm still deciding whether I should get a Sargassum or Blue Throat.
Ok, so I'll try to get one next week.
Any other opinions?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3183040
That's what I thought. I know that when I had a Blue Jaw before, it was very shy and not aggressive at all. So I'm thinking that the Sargassum would be the same. I'm still deciding whether I should get a Sargassum or Blue Throat.
Ok, so I'll try to get one next week.
Any other opinions?
Lots of predators are not "aggressive" (Lionfish are one of the least aggressive fish I know of; as long as you are big enough not to be eaten). All triggers eat smaller critters and Sargassum's spend a lot of time poking around floating weed and eating anything that pops out. Sure, its been done, what hasn't? (short-term anyway). IME & IMO, any trigger will eventually eat any tiny fish it can. You can't compensate for genetic make-up by just keeping a fish well fed.

alvin

Hmm... Would a Sargassum eat my Ocellaris clown fish? They are pretty small, about 2-3".
Hmm... I wonder if I should even take a chance at the Sargassum. Oh well, I'll see when I go back to the LFS sometime next week.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3183174
Hmm... Would a Sargassum eat my Ocellaris clown fish? They are pretty small, about 2-3".
Hmm... I wonder if I should even take a chance at the Sargassum. Oh well, I'll see when I go back to the LFS sometime next week.
These guys play nice---for Triggers. Its your call; but I caught one well offshore in the Fla Keys on a 3-4" fly intended for a dolphin that was probably 20-25 lbs. They were both hanging around a big mat of sargassum.