when to buy the expensive lights?

soupysteve

My tank is three weeks through its cycle. I have about 50-60 lbs of LR so far, 80 lbs of aragonite and 14 crabs. I want this to be a reef tank. I'm looking at a "Custom SeaLife" 48" set-up. This good - any other suggestions? When should I start the "heavy lighting?"

aarone

it all depends on what you want to do coral wise.
If you are just going to be keeping softies and some lps then yeah the pc's are great. But if you want sps or clams, then go with the halides. I have the custom sea life 24" 2x65w fixture and i love it. It was inexpensive and works great. Plus the fixture is cool looking.

dzones

I have a couple custom sealife 24" and I am impressed. I had just some shrooms and a couple polyps but since have migrated up to halides to accomodate my sps's.
you can always add in better lightnig as you need it/afford it.
I personally wish I had just bought the halides in the beginning but oh well.

dacia

You can have a great deal of variety in corals with softies and LPS corals. I think SPS corals are generally much more difficult to take care of, and they are not really recommended for beginners. If you want to keep them though, you must have MH lights.
The CustomSeaLife fixture you mentioned would be good to have. I have a fixture made by them for my 30 gallon reef, and I don't think that I could have gotten a better deal. The price was right, and it lights up my whole room through the tank. :D They make wonderful fixtures and lamps. I would recommend them.

D

daniel411

.... I may have one to sell you. It needs new bulbs, has been sitting in the basement for a few months now.