When to do a water change

bigcheif

I have a 29 gal. tank that 4 weeks old. The nitrates is 0, nitrites trace, ammonia .25. I have 15 lbs of live rock and used live sand. The lfs said do not do a water change that its getting there, be patient. I have a damsel and a singapore thats doing great and also have 10 crabs and 5 snails that seem to be doing fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

drew2005

Originally Posted by bigcheif
I have a 29 gal. tank that 4 weeks old. The nitrates is 0, nitrites trace, ammonia .25. I have 15 lbs of live rock and used live sand. The lfs said do not do a water change that its getting there, be patient. I have a damsel and a singapore thats doing great and also have 10 crabs and 5 snails that seem to be doing fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Dont do a change until you see your nitrates spike then fall. Then do 20% changes to lower the nitrates as much as possible. Your gearing for 0 but 10 is reasonable. I cant get mine any lower than that.

sfe

Also make sure your salinity stays in check. And are you going to plan on keeping a reef or fish only

drew2005

Originally Posted by SFE
Also make sure your salinity stays in check. And are you going to plan on keeping a reef or fish only
Yes make sure the new water you mix is the same salinity as the tank water. If your doing FOWLR than 1.023 is the desired salinity. As for a reef you want it slightly higher 1.025. Especially for inverts. They like higher salinity.

bigcheif

For right now a fish only. I wanted a larger tank but settled for the 29 to see how sucessful I was. I am wanting to make sure I do everything right. Boy do I have the fever.

drew2005

For right now a fish only. I wanted a larger tank but settled for the 29 to see how sucessful I was. I am wanting to make sure I do everything right. Boy do I have the fever.
I hear ya. I was the same way. You have to be patient though. Slowly add livestock. Do lots and lots of research. My tank has been up for a year and ive had no deaths or illness.

bigcheif

What size tank and what type of fish do you have. How often do you do a water change. You seem to be doing everything right.

drew2005

What size tank and what type of fish do you have. How often do you do a water change. You seem to be doing everything right.
I have a 46 gallon bow. I have 2 percula clowns, royal gramma and a yellow tang. Corals i have are hairy mushrooms, yellow polyps which are spreading like wildfire and button polyps. About 80lbs of LR. They are all doing great. Tank is kinda small for the yellow tang but i plan on upgrading within the next year to at least 100 gallon. I change 10% weekly(5 gallons). I have this site and everyone here to thank for my success. I have learned alot and i research everything before i buy. No impulse buys here. If my LFS has something im interested in i put it on hold, come home do some research then decide. Patience is the key to being successful in this hobby.