when to do a water change

sn8kbyt

So if your tank is up and running great with all the numbers where they should be including alk and cal...when do you decide you should do a water change of any % just because?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kbyt http:///t/395727/when-to-do-a-water-change#post_3523887
So if your tank is up and running great with all the numbers where they should be including alk and cal...when do you decide you should do a water change of any % just because?
The reason we do water changes is mostly to remove nitrates (NO3) and phosphates (PO4). If your system is stable, and removing it naturally, you wouldn't need to do any water changes, except to replenish the trace elements which could be done with supplements...always test first to see if you need to do even that.
Most of us don't have that perfect system, so to answer your question....do water changes at least once a month. Keeping macroalgae is the best method I have found for removing nitrates and phosphates without water changes. I was told an algae scrubber works the same way, and does a very good job of it as well.

kylev

I do a water change every saturday of about 10-15%. I don't mind spending the time doing it and buy my salt in bulk so it isn't to costly. I like to play safe and keep a nice consistent routine. I also do this cause I tend to be a little lazy on testing and hate doing it so I'd rather stay on top of water changes and test every month or so.

sn8kbyt

My only concern is my PH which stays around 8.0 and I would like it a bit higher....like 8.2 to 8.4. My Alk is 9ish and my calcium is 460.
Every time I have done a water change the PH is the only thing that drops? Started at 8.4 dropped to 8.2 after first water change and then 8.0 after the second.
I am using the same salt batch I set the tank up with and it is the same salinity as the display that has sat for 24-48 hours with a powerhead and a heater.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8kbyt http:///t/395727/when-to-do-a-water-change#post_3523952
My only concern is my PH which stays around 8.0 and I would like it a bit higher....like 8.2 to 8.4. My Alk is 9ish and my calcium is 460.
Every time I have done a water change the PH is the only thing that drops? Started at 8.4 dropped to 8.2 after first water change and then 8.0 after the second.
I am using the same salt batch I set the tank up with and it is the same salinity as the display that has sat for 24-48 hours with a powerhead and a heater.
Hi,
8.0 means absolutely no need to stress. PH is lowest in the morning after lights out all night. Your new mixed salt has not been exposed to the sand, rock and light, since all is good at 8.0 anyway, and a wee bit higher that you want, will come as the day wears on.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395727/when-to-do-a-water-change#post_3523888
The reason we do water changes is mostly to remove nitrates (NO3) and phosphates (PO4). If your system is stable, and removing it naturally, you wouldn't need to do any water changes,
except to replenish the trace elements which could be done with supplements...always test first to see if you need to do even that.
Most of us don't have that perfect system, so to answer your question....do water changes at least once a month
. Keeping macroalgae is the best method I have found for removing nitrates and phosphates without water changes. I was told an algae scrubber works the same way, and does a very good job of it as well.
+1