when to remove shrimp?

firedad720

I just started my 29 g. 4 days ago. I have 50 lbs. of "dead" sand, 20 lbs. of live sand, & 7.5 lbs. of uncured live rock. I placed 3 shrimp (dead) into the tank to start the cycle. on day 2: readings were am. 1.0, trites .25, trates. 10. On day 3: am. 1.0, trites 2.0, trates 10. I removed the shrimp,because it started to let pieces into the tank, on the end of day 3.
question 1: did i take out the shrimp to early?
question 2: A little off this topic, but i've seen pictures of clowns that were black with either white or orange stripes. is this a different type of clown or just A different color pattern? if it is a different type of clown, what name can I find it under.
thanks for all your help in advanced.

bang guy

It really didn't matter because you used Uncured rock. You really didn't need the shrimp at all. I'm sure there was plenty of die-off from your rock to start and maintain the cycle.

imo

The 2 clowns you have seen are probably a Black percula clown and a Orange percula clown. The black will cost about 3 times more than the orange. I happen to have and like both. They hang out together and enjoy each others company. I think it makes a good combo.

[hr]
It really didn't matter becaused you used Uncured rock. You really didn't need the shrimp at all. I'm sure there was plenty of die-off from your rock to start and maintain the cycle.

[hr]
I don't want to steal this thread, I just want clarification...
If I'm buying 80lbs. uncured LR and put it into a non-cycled 75 gal. tank then I don't have to bother with the shrimp? Not that a .99 shrimp will break the bank but one should always KISS.
thanx:)

bang guy

Originally posted by hookedonreefs
If I'm buying 80lbs. uncured LR and put it into a non-cycled 75 gal. tank then I don't have to bother with the shrimp? Not that a .99 shrimp will break the bank but one should always KISS.

That is correct in my opinion. There will be plenty of die-off from uncured rock to start and complete the cycle.

firedad720

thanks kgrimes,
I was a little ahead of you. I placed some more shrimp in today,because the am. somehow droped from 1.0 to .25 (if i tested right???) in the 2 days I waited to retest. I wanted to make sure the tank cycled enough, so I readded the shrimp.