When to run lights?

pruden_sac

Ok, so I can't make any sence of what I've heard. Please help...
I have 10k and Actinic lights. I've heard that I should run both durring the day and leave the Actinic on at night. Is this correct?
45g / 20lbs LS / 30lbs LR / 2x301PH's / 1x402PH / 1x170BW / 2x36w PCs.

striker

I've never heard anything like that. The only lights that should stay on at night are moon lights and 24/7 lights on the refugium. Other than that I don't believe they should stay on.

pruden_sac

Ok, so the follow-up question is: What are moon lights & where do I get them? I'd like more light in my tank, I work long hours and would like to "see" the tank more.
How long should I be running the 10k & Actinic lights for? I've heard of people running one (Actinic?) for 10-12 hours and the other (10k?) for 8-10 hours to simulate dawn & dusk. What's the story?

striker

I was reading on moon lights yesterday. From what i've read they're supposed enhance your tank at night and help coral growth (not sure if valid). People have said that it makes the tank look beautiful at night with ripple effect in the water and you can see your night critters and activity. Unfortunately I'm forced to sneak up to my tank with a flashlight at night until I can afford one of these. I'm still looking for the website but will post it later if I find it.

striker

<a href="http://www.waterwerks.net" target="_blank">www.waterwerks.net</a> Do a search on past discussions here for more info. There are probably more options to choose from. From what I've also read that there are a few people that leave their low actinic lights on at night.

cyn

I work late too, what works for me is I do not turn my lights on untill later in the day. I run the acintics for 1 hour before and after(as well as during)the daylight. So basically,the acintics come on at 9am the main lights at 10am then the main off at 9pm and the acintics at 10 pm. So far, so good and I get to enjoy my tank when I get home!
HTH,
Cyn

reef-addict

Ok.... i did a search on moon lighting a couple weeks ago actually. Moon lighting isn't anything special, I have a small 10k actinic light that i use when there is a full moon, I use it for about 6 days surrounding full moon actually. Basically it keeps yer corals on their natural chronometer, basically telling them when to reproduce or whatever.
There is a new lighting that i've seen stores start to sell that they call moon lighting. It is a red wavelenth that fish and crabs can't see and basically are oblivious too. This creates a light that makes you able to see them and they just go about their business not knowing you can see them.