when will he color up?

bicolor225

At what length will my tamato clown get a tamato color to his pigment? He is approx. 2.5 inches and has some red on him.
Thank You.
-BiColor225

T

thomas712

Greetings and welcome to the board

Part of your answer will have something to do with your lighting, the othere part will have somthing to do with what you feed your Tomato clown.
I'm sure genetics plays apart as well as age.
So what do you feed him?
Thomas

bicolor225

Thanx For the Welcome Im Honored. Currently Im Feeding him Brine shrimp. And my Lighting is one 65 watt sunpaq dual actinic[420nm+460nm]+one 65 watt sunpaq dual daylight[6,770k+10,000k]:happy:
-Bicolor225

C

cowpoke

Bi color
Most folks will tell yo that you need to feed more than Brine shrimp!
Unless they are very young the shrimp are not very nutritionally very dense!
They are more of a treat to go along with more balanced prepared foods.
Do a search and you will find allot on it

T

thomas712

Locate frozen mysis shrimp, formula 1, frozen plankton, frozen cyclopezee. My best suggestion here is to thaw out a cube of one of the above rinse in RO water then some tank water and serve.
You may have to try more than one or let him go hungry for a while till he bites. You might also try a drop or two of garlic to stimulate appitite.
If you continue to feed brine then I suggest that you find a vitamin suppliment to soak the food in like seclon, zoe, or zoecon.
Thomas

bicolor225

do i really have to rinse it in ro water is that really required. i rinse it my tank water isnt that good enough?
Bicolor

T

thomas712

It does help and you can do it that way, the idea is just to rinse out the phophate preservitives that are contained in the frozen cubes. As long as you can do that then go for it. I use a strainer for mine.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Bicolor225 -
Now that I have put 2+2 together and see your other thread I find that this tank is still cycling.
This could also have an impact on the fact that your Tomato clown is pale looking.
Wait out that cycle and let us know when it is over, then take another pic of the Tomato and let us have a look.
Thomas

bicolor225

nope im not cycling anymore. im done with cycling it has been six week of cycling. tested everything.
ammonia=o ppm
nitrite=0 ppm
nitrate=15ppm
pH=8.3
Salinity=1.023
After the nitrite when down to zero he is a little darker
Thanks for the info.:happy:
-BiColor225

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Bicolor225
How would i use a raw cocktail shrimp to cycle???Never heard of it before sounds cool.Thanks
-BiColor

All you need to do is place a raw cocktail shrimp in the tank of new saltwater and it will start to decompose, this will set off your cycle and give it a good challange. In this way you don't put any live critters through the deadly ammonia and nitrite phases of the cycle. When your ammonia and nitrites read 0 for a week you simply do a water change to drop the nitrates and add your first fish.
Thomas