When Will It Happen?

bigpete

I've had my RBTA in my tank for 4 months now. Its gotten nice a big, but has yet to split. Its perfectly healthy, full of coral, full arms, and has plenty of light. My marroon clown is hosting it, but i have a feeling thats not the problem. Whats the average time for a RBTA to split? Thanks

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bigpete
I've had my RBTA in my tank for 4 months now. Its gotten nice a big, but has yet to split. Its perfectly healthy, full of coral, full arms, and has plenty of light. My marroon clown is hosting it, but i have a feeling thats not the problem. Whats the average time for a RBTA to split? Thanks
There isnt one... its believed that an anemone will split when its stressed as to make sure of its survival. Not having it split is said to be a good thing. Some believe you can get one to split by feeding small amounts of food every day for like 2 weeks and then do a large water change, 40%+. This has been seen to force a split in them. However it maybe very stressful to them. Mine has been in my tank for almost 8 months and it has not split.

hefner413

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
There isnt one... its believed that an anemone will split when its stressed as to make sure of its survival. Not having it split is said to be a good thing. Some believe you can get one to split by feeding small amounts of food every day for like 2 weeks and then do a large water change, 40%+. This has been seen to force a split in them. However it maybe very stressful to them. Mine has been in my tank for almost 8 months and it has not split.
wow, good info!

dogstar

My BTA splits every two years for the six years Ive had it so far except this year it spawned instead.

trippkid

Agree with Perfectdark, mine is over 2 yrs old and the only way it split was becaused I ripped it in half, and then there was two.
Matt

hefner413

Originally Posted by trippkid
Agree with Perfectdark, mine is over 2 yrs old and the only way it split was becaused I ripped it in half, and then there was two.
Matt
ripped in half??? uhhhhh...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Hefner413
ripped in half??? uhhhhh...

I didnt post it, because its definatly not recomended to do this, but yea in not so violent of a way the other method to force an anemone to split is to cut it. directly in half straight through the mouth. If everything goes well and no bacteria get into the newly cut flesh and start infection this can be done successfully. However I am not about to attempt that and if tried its recomended to be prepared for the worse.

hefner413

well, I guess people cut polyps all the time - not really different, I guess. But you're saying it's just not as successful as with polyps, eh?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Hefner413
well, I guess people cut polyps all the time - not really different, I guess. But you're saying it's just not as successful as with polyps, eh?
Its a lot different because of the delicate nature of the animal, corals are a lot hardier. And anems are much more suseptable to infection than corals are. It causes tons of stress on the animal and that alone can lead to its death. Its just an unessary risk imo.

trippkid

Sorry, I created a stir, yes at the time I didn't really care if the thing lived or died. I added some current and off it went searching for a new home. After, stinging and killing a couple of my corals, I decided it was time for it to make a home in my refugium until I set up another tank for my wife. It was attached to two rocks, when I tried to take it out, it was stuck so I pulled and tugged a little, and it ripped, not in half may 75/25, pretty clean, both were all healed up within a couple of days to a week. I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO DO THIS, WAS JUST TELLING WHAT I DID TO MINE. If you did want to cut it, I would do as Perfectdark is suggesting with cutting in half, making sure to slice it with a clean scapel and getting a good portion of the oral disc. I hope this clears it up some.

Matt