Where can I find a acrylic tank cover?

kengaroo

I just bought a compact fluorescent light for my 46 Gallon Oceanic bow shape tank. The instructions says not to put the light directly over the tank. My current cover is not transpareant except for like 4 inches where my regular florecent lights goes on. I will need to remove the entire cover to mount my new light. Does any one know where I can get a clear tank cover for my tank or have other suggestions?

gsd

Thats one big draw back of bow front tanks is there is not a heap of stuff made to fit them unless you go home brew..........I made hoods to mount my lights in on my 2 16 gal bf tanks. I had a 46 but sold it, but it also had a custom made acrylic hood that looked like it was part of the tank itself. How about egg crate with the light suspended over it. Does yur light have a clear protective cover under it in a housing now?
If yur looking to cover everything, just make a cardboard templete of the tank top and go to a big box store like HOme Depot and buy some plexi and cut a top out of it.You can buy the plastic flexible hinge material online so you can make access doors for feeding etc. Or just get a cover for directly under and mounted to the light assembly and use standoffs to hold light up off tank, and if needed use egg crate to keep fish from jumping out. An open top tank is not bad in all reality if its jump proof.

drakken

Calll your LFS and see if they can order you a glass top. Most likely there is one made for your tank.

djm

Originally Posted by kengaroo
Do you know of any place that might make custom covers?

Originally Posted by GSD

If yur looking to cover everything, just make a cardboard templete of the tank top and go to a big box store like HOme Depot and buy some plexi and cut a top out of it.
GSD already offered your best AND least expensive option.

sleasia

you can get a nice piece of acrylic at home depot like suggested....just lay it over the top of the tank and draw the shape you need right on the plastic with permanent marker or oil pencil...then clamp the plastic down nicely on a table top or workbench and you can cut it with a router...to get a clean non melted edge. dremels and sabre saws I found do not cut so well because the plastic melts too much. then I would also drill a 1/2 -1" hole in the center to give you a finger hole to lift your top off with...You can do this...go to home depot tomarrow.

xdave

Just go to Home Depot and get some plexiglass. It doesn't have to be strong, just cover it. Take a paper template and have them cut it for you. $20 at the most.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by xDave
Just go to Home Depot and get some plexiglass. It doesn't have to be strong, just cover it. Take a paper template and have them cut it for you. $20 at the most.

rykna

Originally Posted by GSD
Thats one big draw back of bow front tanks is there is not a heap of stuff made to fit them unless you go home brew..........I made hoods to mount my lights in on my 2 16 gal bf tanks. I had a 46 but sold it, but it also had a custom made acrylic hood that looked like it was part of the tank itself. How about egg crate with the light suspended over it. Does yur light have a clear protective cover under it in a housing now?
If yur looking to cover everything, just make a cardboard templete of the tank top and go to a big box store like HOme Depot and buy some plexi and cut a top out of it.You can buy the plastic flexible hinge material online so you can make access doors for feeding etc. Or just get a cover for directly under and mounted to the light assembly and use standoffs to hold light up off tank, and if needed use egg crate to keep fish from jumping out. An open top tank is not bad in all reality if its jump proof.
Go with the home depot is my vote, thats what I did to make a top for mine

roushracer

I made tops for my tanks and all my friends at work (free acrylic!) out of 3/8" acrylic.
Just cut to size with a tablesaw, then bevel the edges for a nice clean edge.
With the bows, it'll be a lil tougher but you can still do it, just not on a tablesaw...