Where can I find Black Silicone?

woody189

Hi. I'm looking for some safe, black silicone. I'm looking online, but keep finding mildew resistant stuff, or stuff that doesn't specify. Does anyone know where to get some, or the exact name of what to search for?? My Home depots and Lowes dont' have black.
Thanks.

scsinet

It's special order stuff because about the only time you use it is for aquariums.
Google "Aquatic ecosystems"

woody189

Wow.. It's expensive. its 16.50 for a 10.3 oz tube, then you add $5 extra if you don't spend at least $30. I didn't even check how much shipping is... Yikes.
SCSinet, maybe you can help.
I was actually buying it for my girlfriends turtle tank.
I built a platform, and the top is plexiglass. I smeared some silicone all across the plexiglass, and placed rock chips on top of it in a mosaic effect. I then generously sprinkled black sand all over, so it fills up the cracks between the rocks. The problem is, the sand kept falling off and dirtying the water. I was gonna use black silicone so I don't have to use sand, but it's expensive.
Do you have any other recommendations? I was originally going to use eggcrate and put that Great Stuf and do the same thing I did basically w/ the silicone, but figured silicone would be easier.
Any suggestions?? Thanks.

scsinet

Can you mix the sand with a liquid casting product to make a sort of black mortar?
I'm not sure how this would work, but I use Elmer's fiberglass resin for various things... comes in a gallon can. It's not cheap but I think you can get smaller containers of it. You mix a hardner into it just like epoxy and it dries solid. I wonder if you mixed a portion, then mixed black sand into it if you could make a paste that would acheive the desired effect?
You might also be able to squirt a bunch of silicon into a disposable cup and mix in black india ink to color it black. Obviously that doesn't work when you need to dispense it from a tube, but it might work in your case. I have no idea if this would work, but it's certainly cheap to try.
Or... use black plexiglass. US Plastics sells small pieces over the internet...
Oh... and by the way... if you can't find $30 worth of stuff to buy when ordering from Aquatic Eco... then you don't have enough tanks.

woody189

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3160777
Can you mix the sand with a liquid casting product to make a sort of black mortar?
I'm not sure how this would work, but I use Elmer's fiberglass resin for various things... comes in a gallon can. It's not cheap but I think you can get smaller containers of it. You mix a hardner into it just like epoxy and it dries solid. I wonder if you mixed a portion, then mixed black sand into it if you could make a paste that would acheive the desired effect?
You might also be able to squirt a bunch of silicon into a disposable cup and mix in black india ink to color it black. Obviously that doesn't work when you need to dispense it from a tube, but it might work in your case. I have no idea if this would work, but it's certainly cheap to try.
Or... use black plexiglass. US Plastics sells small pieces over the internet...
Oh... and by the way... if you can't find $30 worth of stuff to buy when ordering from Aquatic Eco... then you don't have enough tanks.

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I'll try the India ink idea. I don't need it to come out of tube. It's not for corners, it's just to be like a mortar, like you said.
1 tank is enough. Unfortunately, I'm falling out of the SWA hobby after two years. I'm away at school, and I've been neglecting my tank a lot. I'm getting it back into shape, though. The main problem is, I lost my favorite, my midas blenny. AFter that I lost my drive to keep the tank in shape. It's coming back to life though.
ANyway thanks. I dont' see why the ink wouldn't work.

scsinet

I was at Michaels yesterday and I saw something that reminded me of this thread.
They sell a casting product that dries clear. The fiberglass stuff I talked about has a dark blue tint to it that may make it unsuitable for your application, but it may come in other colors.
Anyway, the stuff is used to make things like those fake vases filled with water, so it dries water clear. Mixing sand or a black ink with that stuff may give you some great results. It was $30 for a small can of it, but it looked perfect for what you are trying to do.