Where can I get a Sump-filter system

escape2thewater

where can I find a Sump-Filter system for a good price? (not a wet/dry).I cant find any here at SWF. I did find one at my LFS, but they are pretty proud of it! ($350 for a "kit" with prefilter and return pump) Do some people make these? Any recommendations are greatly appriciated! Im starting up a glass 120 gallon FOWLR (not pre-drilled) These dont seem to be too common around SWFL where I live.Thanks in advance!

reefnut

Most sump-filters made are wet/dry filters. You can buy one of those and take out the bio-balls for just a sump or you can make your own.
Mag 9.5 Pump 72.00 or
Mag 7 Pump 60.00 (The pump will depend on the overflow)
Overflow 100.00 + -
30g Tank 50.00?
Baffle Material (acrylic) 40.00??
Check at drs foster smith for the pump and overflow... and your LFS for the tank... and the local hardware store for the acrylic...
That's my 2c anyway...

stumpdog

Escape-
Go to the Equipment section and do a search on sump or post your question. The people have helped me make my decisions on my own sump. I went with Lifereef Overflow which should be here today or tomorrow and a Mag9.5. It stinks that I have to wait 2 more weeks before I can set it up since I am moving.
HTH
Thanks-
Jeremy

reefnut

I was just reading on another thread and it seems that the Lifereef Overflows are what's recommended... You can find them at life reef dot com ;) .

stumpdog

Escape-
If you do decide to go to an online auction place be careful. Make sure who ever you are buying from has a good status. I have wasted money (on S&H) on ---- on stuff that looked good but didn't work with a darn. On another note I would steer clear of the CPR overflows. I thought about these at first but was told that they lose syphon easily and modifications are needed out of the box. You could do a search on overflows to get some more opinions.HTH
Jeremy

clownfish2

Escape, Depending on how your $ situation is but I opted to build my own. I have a 75gal. main tank with a 29gal. sump. They are not hard to build at all. Just a few pieces of glass(or plexiglass) from your local glass company and some silicone you could have one built in about an hour. Good luck on your project.:cool:

escape2thewater

thanks for all the ideas, I think I might just try to make one myself and spend the money on something more important, like a good skimmer.Thanks again!
Kyle