Where can I get t5 lighting?

harris28

Originally Posted by yannifish
Is this a good light? 48 inch ODYSSEA HIGH COMPACT AQUARIUM LIGHT 260w V4. And I don't want clams that bad, it was just a thought. Are the cooling fans loud?

Odyssea is crap!!!!!!!! No warranty, not UL listed, and know for quiting after a couple of months. Google Odyssea fires and see what you get. You will be amazed that people actually use it. It is cheap for a reason. Save up and buy you a good fixture that will last you years. I promise you will be happier that way.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by Harris28
Odyssea is crap!!!!!!!! No warranty, not UL listed, and know for quiting after a couple of months. Google Odyssea fires and see what you get. You will be amazed that people actually use it. It is cheap for a reason. Save up and buy you a good fixture that will last you years. I promise you will be happier that way.

that was so long ago, things change... i have the new electronic version on my 28, so do a lot of people on this site and other sites. there has been a huge debate about this and also for the price the new MH fixtures from odyssea are worth it when the ballasts are replaced, which is still cheaper than most MH fixtures. unless you have personal experience with something i dont see why you keep saying that everything they make will catch someones house on fire

harris28

Originally Posted by nietzsche
that was so long ago, things change... i have the new electronic version on my 28, so do a lot of people on this site and other sites. there has been a huge debate about this and also for the price the new MH fixtures from odyssea are worth it when the ballasts are replaced, which is still cheaper than most MH fixtures. unless you have personal experience with something i dont see why you keep saying that everything they make will catch someones house on fire
Yes I have personal expereince (I think me and you went through this last time)with that same fixture just last year (2006) and yes it was the elctronic version. I had the 4-65 watt PC with the lunars and it was the electronic ballast. In less than two months my fans quite working. WIthin 4 months of my fans quiting I noticed my lights were dim. I ordered more lights and when I replaced them I got a nice zap. So I took it apart and noticed that all the wireing was melted and touching. It was a matter of time before it caught fire. And quess what, all this with no warranty. The company said they did not need a warranty because the parts are so cheap. I started to laugh and told the company it is now my duty to warn everybody of this crap.
So 10 years ago, last year, or now Odyessa is junk!!!! You get what you pay for. And it will be a matter of time. Search the net you will see. There will come a day in the near futur something will go wrong with it and the company wont be there to back it up.

ophiura

I would never by an Odyssea fixture. Some things are worth the extra money...or the sacrifice for not getting to keep exactly what you want until you can afford more. But there is not a good track record with them at all, and with such electronics? Yea, don't skimp. Heat, electricity...salt water...high risk there. In my opinion, go for quality and peace of mind on lighting, not the best bargain.
But that is me

harris28

Originally Posted by ophiura
I would never by an Odyssea fixture. Some things are worth the extra money...or the sacrifice for not getting to keep exactly what you want until you can afford more. But there is not a good track record with them at all, and with such electronics? Yea, don't skimp. Heat, electricity...salt water...high risk there. In my opinion, go for quality and peace of mind on lighting, not the best bargain.
But that is me

Thank You!!!!!

nietzsche

oh well, i guess everyone likes to bash. i paid 159 with free shipping, upgraded the mh bulb and replaced the ballast with an icecap total of 299, saved me an aditional 400 probably.
harris, youre talking about a different fixture. i have no clue which one that is unless it had MH. on -- there were many people who kept debating this. over 60 pages and more kept discussing the fixture until most people figured out for the price it was a good fixture when all you had to do was replace the ballasts.

ophiura

All you had to do was replace the bulb and ballast? It it is a good fixture, a safe fixture...why replace anything? I think that confirms that there are some issues with it!
I, for one, am not in the business of buying a fixture that I then have to toss components and retrofit. If I want a retrofit, then I will buy one...and yes, save a bunch of money. That is true.
But for an out of the box fixture which is what we were talking about?
Not a good one, IMO.

fanker

Originally Posted by TurningTim
You need to make sure that whatever fixture you choose should have individual reflectors for the bulbs. I have a 6x54w tek light on a 55 and love it. Its about 5" from the water and no heat issues. I keep clams and SPS.
Picked mine up off the

[hr]
site for 250 including bulbs......

no need for a 6x54w thats way overdoing it and it probabtl goes ove the ends. a 4x54w is plenty u can keep sps and clams and ananomes and anything u wats so get a tek 4x54w

turningtim

No doubt, you're right Flanker but I got a deal on a pre-owed fixture. The bulbs are on the tank but the fixture hangs over a bit.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by ophiura
All you had to do was replace the bulb and ballast? It it is a good fixture, a safe fixture...why replace anything? I think that confirms that there are some issues with it!
I, for one, am not in the business of buying a fixture that I then have to toss components and retrofit. If I want a retrofit, then I will buy one...and yes, save a bunch of money. That is true.
But for an out of the box fixture which is what we were talking about?
Not a good one, IMO.
i replaced it because the ballast isnt the best???? the ballast didnt power the bulb to its full potential, NOT because of any other issues. why is everyone saying that it has issues?????? can you show me a 250w mh light fixture with 2x65w actinics, built in lunar lights, built in fans with the bulbs with free shipping for under 200 dollars that is new?
besides, i replaced the bulb because i just dont like 10k, id rather have something more blue.
hey and guess what, the old ballast is good for a frag tank or another tank. so its not like im just ripping things apart and junking them

yannifish

Ok, so I'm getting those power compacts. Is this a good lighting schedule?
6 am, daylight lamps on, moon light off. 9 am, actinics on. 6pm, actinics off. 9 pm, daylights off, moon lights on.

andy51632

Ok, so I'm getting those power compacts. Is this a good lighting schedule?
6 am, daylight lamps on, moon light off. 9 am, actinics on. 6pm, actinics off. 9 pm, daylights off, moon lights on.
u can keep your moon lights on 24/7. If you are wanting your lights on at 6am I would turn your actinics on first at 6am, run them 12hrs, to 6pm. Turn your daylights on at 7am, run them 10hrs, to 5pm.
I run my actinics 12hrs and my daylights 10 hrs but I start at noon and run them to midnight. The reason I have my actinics on first is it simulates a dusk to dawn effect. The actinics are dimmer and get the fish used to light before you blast them with daylight.

yannifish

Ok, moon lights always on, and I think I'll have a 15 hour day. Are there any down sides to this? So actinics for 15 hours, daylights for 13.

bkvreef

Ok, moon lights always on, and I think I'll have a 15 hour day. Are there any down sides to this? So actinics for 15 hours, daylights for 13.
That sounds like a long time.
I have a p.c. and t-5's (not intentional I upgraded and there was no reason to get rid of the p.c.s
I have my p.c. actinics on for about 12 hours, and then my 2 x 65 10,000k come on an hour later and off an hour before (total of 10 hours)
finally my 3 x 80(I think the wattage is correct, they are 60inches) are on an hour later and stay on for a total of 8 hours.