where do I cut my toadstool if I want to frag it? PICS

dieselndix

I have read everywhere....but I dont know exactly where to cut.
I dont want to hack this thing up, cuz it looks great...but if I can just cut a piece off and start another one, that would be great
thanks

sharkbait9

That's a good question. Every time I have fraged out my toad stools I have always taking a part of the stem with the frag. Take a clean razor or other sharp instrument and slice it. Either in halves, four quarters. Maybe if you cut off a section from the back side it would still keeps if nice appearance. Slice it down the back side taking some of the head and its stem. It still looks new or did it grow over the rubber band? IMO if it’s still new to your tank, I would not frag it out yet.

dieselndix

its not new, it just came with a very small rubble rock, and eventually grew over the rock and wouldnt stnad up, so I rubberbanded it to a bigger rock...rubber band will be removed in another day or two..just making sure it is attached.

reefnut

You can cut a slice of the head and attach it to a rock. It will grow a stem and develop into another toadstool.

wilsonreef

Every now and then mine just drops off a piece of itself and the pieces wind up attaching to a piece of live rock or just in the sand. They will grow a stem, because when mine drops off a piece it grows one. When this happens it looks like something is wrong with it and a piece of it drops. The original toadstool seems to heal itself and looks great after a while.

dieselndix

awesome...and image of the cut is exactly what I was lookin for...can I snip it off with the coral in the tank?

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by dieselndix
alright so all in favor of me cutting exactly where the line is....just snipping it along that red line
go for it what the hell.

dieselndix

ok, did it...
got the fragged piece netted to a piece of rubble and the net is rubberbanded on.
as for the main leather....not looking good....all shriveled up....is this to be expected?
btw, I took the rubberband off of the leather after 9 days....hadnt even BEGUN to attach to the rock....any other ideas on attaching the main leather?

vinnyl

IMO.... I wouldn't have cutted in the main tank. Toadstools have a powerful toxin, and that can really mess things in your tank.

sharkbait9

The biggest problem with fragging leather coral is sometimes they will secrete a filmy slim all over the place and mess up the clarity of the water and stick and suffocate certain other coral. This is the only reason why I don’t frag inside any of my DT. Using the “netting” is fine. I use cheese cloth or bridal veil. Let it be for a week or so and just monitor the frag and parent coral.

teresaq

When i did mine, i just cut about an inch off around the outsid edge, then cut that into two inch pieces and put the main coral back in my main tank, and attached all the pieces to rubble. I ended up with 10. now my main coral is huge again, and i need to do it again.