Where do I start if I'm a total newb?

S

silencer

I'm thinking of maybe switching to a basic saltwater setup but I'm confused as to the different tank setups you can run and how much it will cost to setup. I've been reading the forums and site all night and have got myself quite confused.
What would be the minimum setup for a 55g saltwater tank? I know you can run different kinds of tanks like reef tanks or tanks for aggressive fish but I don't really understand the differences. I know that they need different kinds of lighting and filtering but don't know any of the details about this or what the benefits or drawbacks would be to the various kinds of setups I could do. Is there a place that explains this or could somebody give me a brief rundown on some of the differences?
I'm not really sure which type of tank I would prefer to run yet since I don't really know enough about them to know the benefits or drawbacks of the different kinds. Regardless of which setup I decide on (if any) I already have some gear from a 55g freshwater setup that I could canabalize.
I have...
-1 55g tank which I already have
-1 heater for 55g tank (used for freshwater, not sure if it's ok)
-2 powerheads (used with freshwater for undergravel filter, don't know if they are ok to use with saltwater)
-1 air pump (I don't even think you use these in saltwater do you?)
-Crappy dual top for tank with (I THINK) two 18" bulbs (not sure if this is acceptable or not)
I need...
-Live sand or some other type of material for bottom (how much do I need?)
-Some sort of filter and/or other devices
-sea salt and water treament/testing stuff
-Live rocks or rocks or something to put in the tank
-Everything else that you need for a saltwater tank that I don't already have
The key issue here is money. This would be a budget setup and I'm trying to find the least expensive setup I could start with that would still be acceptable and not something to be ashamed of. I understand this is a lot to ask but any information or links to information that you can give me would be a great help.

S

sashimi

:happyfish Good Morning! Try reading NATURAL REEF AQUARIUMS by John H. Tullock ISBN 1-890087-00-9. I have found his advice to be sound. He also discusses different Biotopes. Also read more then one book! And take all advice with a grain of salt!! What works for someone else might not work for you. There are far too many parameters within our tanks for anyone to have a correct answer to your problem.

squidd

Another easy to understand book would be ..."The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta...1-890087-52-1
Kind of a step by step guide...to a "basic" tank
You may want to research and decide "What Kind" of tank you want though....as there are a few differences in filtration/setup requirements between "Reef","Fish only", Aggressive Fish","FOWLR",and let's not forget "Planted Tanks"...
Also choosing the Fish/Type of Fish you want goes along way in determining what level of filtration you'll need to support them and what you can or can not add in the future...

elpezgrande

Like everyone else has said, first you should decide on what types of fish you want, and if you want coral or not. Some fish will not be compatible with each other, some will not be compatible with corals, and some will not be compatible with your tank because they get too big. The next step is to get a book and read it. You can ask for and receive good advice on this board, but a book will give you a view of the big picture that you can't get from a few Q & A posts on a forum. I also got "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta and it helped me get over a lot of my concerns when making the switch from fresh water to salt water.
Start saving your money while you are researching. I thought I could go from my 30G FW to SW for about $200 dollars and was wrong, it ended up costing closer to $500 for the upgrades including livestock. It would have cost even more if my tank had been a 55 gallon instead of 30 (although I have a reef tank, not a fish only tank). I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what might happen.
Expect to spend $100+ on a protein skimmer. The rule of thumb for live rock is 1 - 2 lbs per gallon and pre-cured live rock is usually $4 - $6/lbs if you find a good deal, so at least $200 $300 for LR. I was able to get RO/DI salt water from my LFS for $.75 per gallon which is a lot cheaper than the initial cost of an RO/DI unit, and although it costs more in the long run, I don't have the space to mix my own water, so I still get mine from the LFS. You can get aragonite sand from Home Depot (do a search on this board for southdown) for I believe $7 for a 100 lbs bag depending on where you live. If you want coral expect to spend $150 - $300 or more for lighting.
Fish can handle poorer water quality than corals and inverts, so you may be able to get away with less filtration (the LR and protein skimmer are the extra filtration you will be purchasing) if you go fish only. HTH and good luck. Even though I went over budget on the upgrade, it was worth it. I like my salt water tank much better than when it was fresh water.

nm reef

Another great resource is "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner...and search on-line for a article titled "reefkeeping 101"
You are on the right track...research and gather as much information as possible and ask specific questions along the way. Forums such as this one in addition to the books mentioned will provide information then decide what type of system you'd like to devlop...best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.
...and before I forget...Welcome to the hobby!

S

silencer

Thanks. I'm looking at that reef 101 site now and it's really helpful even though I'm only on the 3rd page. I have a feeling that even the cheapest setup is going to cost too much for me to afford right now but I'm still going to do all the research so that I know how much it will cost me if and when I eventually do decide to do it.
I think the live rock is what breaks the budget for me but without live rocks or anything like that a saltwater tank just isn't a saltwater tank IMO. The fish are nice but half of the reason to get saltwater is to have things other than fish to make it look nice.

barry cuda

Do keep in mind that you don't have to buy all actual live rock...it's very feasible to buy mostly "base rock" (dead coral rock with nothing living on it) and "seed" it with a small amount of live rock. Over time, the base rock will become live rock and costs much, much less.

S

silencer

I was looking at the $100-$250 range. It appears as if the lights alone will cost that much but of course I would also need a skimmer, sand, salt, at least some live rock, testing equipment and materials. It's just too expensive to do it how it should be done. I'd rather wait a year or two and get a nice setup than really cut corners now and be disappointed with the results.
I'll just do some research on saltwater for a while longer while keeping the tank as freshwater. I'll probably be moving soon too so it will save me the trouble of having to tear down and rebuild the tank.