where do they come from??

seabreeze

ok, I've been reading a lot of posts about bristle worms and other creatures invading tanks, where do they come from, the live rock? I thought about getting some, but not sure if i want to now...........
thanx

jacrmill

get LR, its benefits far out weigh any danger. alot of people on this board will tell you not to remove your bristle worms, and then some will. so they really arent that bad. only thing you need to worry bout is a mantis shrimp. not too big of a danger of that though. and if you do get one, you can fix it. so i highly recommend LR, and a i think about everyone else will too.

shel

Get the LR. I have 150lb of it. I do not have a mantis shrimp or have ever had one. I have the bristle worms and they are doing no harm. More rewards then problems with LR, in my opinion.
Shel :D

Live Rock is the best type of filter that u can buy for your tank. It provides lots of places for bacteria to grow. Don't worry about the bristle worms, they help to areate ur substrate but as they get bigger should be taken out. Hope this helps.
Peace

mithrax

I read bristle worms can kill clams placed on the sand. Otherwise, they are pretty harmless. Want to control them? Get a hawkfish. :)

seabreeze

what equpment do i need for LR? All I have now is wet/dry filter, protein skimmer and of course a heater. thanx

seabreeze

im sorry, i do not have a wet/dry filter, i have a simple carbon filter. i was told at lfs that this was a wet/dry filter.....god they are idiots, im learning so much from the board!! you guys are wonderful. but i take it that i do need a wet/dry filter for LF?