Where do you keep yer jugs??

novahobbies

I live in a fairly small coach house style home with no garage and little storage space. I dug all my jugs out of the attic and closets today in preparation of filling the big tank, and it got me thinking. I have 7 5-gallon jugs, and I'm going to be needing them on a fairly regular basis now that the big tank is up...but I have almost no room to put them? I can't be the only one with this storage issue. What do you guys do with yours?
For now I'll have to keep them in the trunk of the van. Can't think of anywhere else where they would be accessible but out of the way...

flower

I keep my seven 5g jugs and three 3g jugs in the garage of my home. Before that I lived in a mobile home and stored stuff under the house and had a skirting that went around the home to hide what was under there. You could also get one of those metal storage sheds a 5X6 would be plenty of room to keep a tub or two of all the extra fish tank and pump parts (we all have that stuff, don't deny it) and your jugs.

novahobbies

Yeah, no place for a storage shed. I'll figure mine out, but I was just wondering how others store them...and justify the space for a half dozen gas cans lying around the place.
As for tubs of spare parts.....LOL....guilty as charged! I have 2 tubs of stuff for the big tank, a tub of scrap bits and bobs, and a box of extra filters, a skimmer or two, air pumps, all sorts of fun stuff. Not to mention the 10g tank, the 2.5g, the 12g, and the 1g I have stashed up in the attic.

snakeblitz33

I keep mine all in my understairs storage space. I also stash them in the trunk of my car on occasion. I also have a few jugs stashed at my parents house. LOL - yeah, I'm inundated with jugs.
I have tied a string to the bottom jug and then strung up all the other jugs and hung em' on a wall out of the way before. I've also put them on shelves installed HIGH on the ceiling in an unused portion of the house/apartment and even underneath the bed before. I have also stashed them in the top shelves of my cloths closets before. Another place you can consider is if you have a large AC unit inside your house, you can stash them underneath the unit in the closet. LOL (my mom does that with her DOZEN sewing machines. )
Let me see - where else have I seen them stored? Hmmmmmm.... if I can think of any, I'll let you know.
LOL. I live in a 400sqft apartment and I have to get as creative as I possibly can.

snakeblitz33

I have seen jugs stored on top of the cabinets in peoples kitchens before.... Maybe more of a survival thing than an aquarium thing though.
If you have a fairly large pantry, you should also have enough space to keep a few jugs filled with water just in case of an emergency anyways.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3486127
I keep mine all in my understairs storage space. I also stash them in the trunk of my car on occasion. I also have a few jugs stashed at my parents house. LOL - yeah, I'm inundated with jugs.
I have tied a string to the bottom jug and then strung up all the other jugs and hung em' on a wall out of the way before. I've also put them on shelves installed HIGH on the ceiling in an unused portion of the house/apartment and even underneath the bed before. I have also stashed them in the top shelves of my cloths closets before. Another place you can consider is if you have a large AC unit inside your house, you can stash them underneath the unit in the closet. LOL (my mom does that with her DOZEN sewing machines. )
Let me see - where else have I seen them stored? Hmmmmmm.... if I can think of any, I'll let you know.
LOL. I live in a 400sqft apartment and I have to get as creative as I possibly can.
Well it may not help Nova much but.....The hang them high method is an awesome idea...I have great rafters in my garage, there is a good corner in the back.

raptor72

Go to Amazon.com and look up "water gallon rack". I'm going to be getting the 3 bottle vertical one for about $27.
Sent from my overpriced iPod Touch using Tapatalk

sweatervest13

Are the jugs the only water storage containers that you use??? I used to use the 5g jugs when I went back and forth to Walmart to fill up RO/DI water. But when I got my own unit, I switched over to a 32g brute trash can. It's almost 7 jugs worth of water and very compact compared to the jugs.. Actually I still used the jugs to pour the water for top offs until I got an ATO (I then added a 32g Brute can for the ATO reservoir ).
But I am spoiled and have a fish room (6' X 9')... I keep all my jugs in the corner there. Helps keep me out trouble with the wife. LOL
Snake- Love all the storage ideas you have. LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489110
Are the jugs the only water storage containers that you use??? I used to use the 5g jugs when I went back and forth to Walmart to fill up RO/DI water. But when I got my own unit, I switched over to a 32g brute trash can. It's almost 7 jugs worth of water and very compact compared to the jugs.. Actually I still used the jugs to pour the water for top offs until I got an ATO (I then added a 32g Brute can for the ATO reservoir ).
I keep my 5g jugs, you never know when they might be needed, and they are expensive to replace. I have moved over the years, and those jugs came in handy...if an emergency situation such as a tank leak should happen...a trip to the LFS for premixed water may be needed. I have my WC tub, ATO and my RO water unit, but my trusty jugs are in storage ... like my generator, I hope to not need it, but if something happens... it's good to know a back-up plan exists.

slice

I saw the thread title and got ready for a laugh.
I envisioned pics of healthy young women asking "where do you think I keep my jugs?"...
I guess Spanko hasn't seen this yet...

sweat90lx

Sweatervest- You are spoiled! I am about to have an extra room but it will be a play room for my daughter, she is extremely spoiled rotten.
Slice- in my shirt was what you were thinking. LOL

travelerjp98

I don't really have jugs. I keep my about 15 gallon trash can in my attic or garage. I also have a basement if need be... but that's already full with antiques..

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489223
I don't really have jugs. I keep my about 15 gallon trash can in my attic or garage. I also have a basement if need be... but that's already full with antiques..
Oh Traveler....you are so not ready if something happens. You should have at least a couple of 5g jugs just in case, and if you have a basement and an attic, you will be kicking yourself if you get caught unprepared and loose everything in the tank because of it.

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489296
You can't make a trip to the LFS with a trash can...you need a jug that can be capped...remember it's for an emergency water supply.
How much emergency supply should you have?
I dont have a LFS. I know I need to have some premade water on hand but not sure how much or where to store it. I need a fish room. LOL

snakeblitz33

If you are SERIOUSLY concerned about your fish and live in an area that has major power outages pretty often, or you and your family are prone to have accidents... such as your kids spilling things in the tank accidentally or your wife getting upset and pouring Clorox in your tank - you should probably have at least a 50% water change on hand and some chemicals such as prime and amquel to instantly detoxify the water and fix ammonia levels.
But, if you're like me - you laugh in the face of danger! I don't keep any emergency water on hand, ... let alone be able to to get 5g of top off water for my tank each week. lol

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489445
How much emergency supply should you have?
I dont have a LFS. I know I need to have some premade water on hand but not sure how much or where to store it. I need a fish room. LOL
I don't keep water on hand...although quite often I am in the middle of setting up water changes, so my 37g plastic can as a rule contains new-mixed saltwater. LOL...at least the 5 or 6 times I have needed water the tub it had some in it. I used to have a HOB coralife skimmer that liked to overflow and drain my tank.
However I do have seven 5g jugs just in case I have to make an emergancy run for water. I also have battery run pumps in case I need water movement should my power heads fail, in the event of a power outage and I also have a generator that can run the entire pump system on my 56g and 90g tanks.

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489453
If you are SERIOUSLY concerned about your fish and live in an area that has major power outages pretty often, or you and your family are prone to have accidents... such as your kids spilling things in the tank accidentally or your wife getting upset and pouring Clorox in your tank - you should probably have at least a 50% water change on hand and some chemicals such as prime and amquel to instantly detoxify the water and fix ammonia levels.
But, if you're like me - you laugh in the face of danger! I don't keep any emergency water on hand, ... let alone be able to to get 5g of top off water for my tank each week. lol
I am like you. My wife and child know better than to put their hand in the tank, much less anything else. I do have prime on hand though.
I had to make a trip to the supermarket to get some top of water this morning. I usually get a few cases of bottled water from work for top offs but I ran out.
An old friend that I have not seen in many, many years had his large tank break about 3 years ago and he still has everything in his hot tub. Id like to find him and see how he is making it work.
Im sure I can figure out a way should any emergency happen but I like to have some kind of plan in my head.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392533/where-do-you-keep-yer-jugs#post_3489537
I am like you. My wife and child know better than to put their hand in the tank, much less anything else. I do have prime on hand though.
I had to make a trip to the supermarket to get some top of water this morning. I usually get a few cases of bottled water from work for top offs but I ran out.
An old friend that I have not seen in many, many years had his large tank break about 3 years ago and he still has everything in his hot tub. Id like to find him and see how he is making it work.
Im sure I can figure out a way should any emergency happen but I like to have some kind of plan in my head.
You don't have your own RO unit? How large is your tank?
At Walmart RO water is (in my area) 37 cents a gallon. Bottled water is not necessarily reverse osmoses water, and it's 5Xs more expensive. A 3g jug or a 5g jug would be cheaper to refill in the long run.
I worked on the railroad, the engineer was supplied with bottled water, everything on the railroad is bid on as to what company they use for stuff like that and cleaning supplies...the cheapest bid gets the deal, as with most companies.....it was just city tap water, it tasted good and it was in convient bottles is about all it offered, the filtering they used was designed concerning taste and often it had something added to make it taste better.