where does the skimmer go?

amadent

I am having a sump /refugium built by my local guy. He tells me that the skimmer goes in the last compartment along with my return pump. I don't think this is correct. . I thought it should be in the first chamber from my overflow box. Am I right?

natclanwy

Depends on the design but I would say it shouldn't go in the same compartment as the return pump. The reason being your return chamber will have a fluctuating water level due to evaporation which will cause problems with the settings on your skimmer.

natclanwy

Not really sure of your question but I'll take a stab at it. Running a skimmer is better than not having one at all even if the placement isn't ideal, but having it in the return chamber will cause you more headaches than is needed causing you to become frustrated with the skimmer and the hobby. So I would either have them build your sump so that you have a different place to place your skimmer or purchase a skimmer that could be placed in one of the other chambers. If you can provide a description on how your sump is being built we can give you a better idea on what your options are.

amadent

he has three compartment, but only the partitions sectioning the refug touch the bottom. He has> I will try to get a picture tomorrow. Thanks.

reefkprz

the skimmer should go in the first chamber that way your not skimming out pods grown in the fuge center section.
having the skimmer in the pump section as nat mentioned will make getting it tuned difficult due to the fluctuating water levels from evaporation.

wattsupdoc

The skimmer should not go in the return pump compartment, along with the mention level fluctuation, it will likely lead to micro bubbles in the display. It can go in before or after the fuge. I believe the "skimming out pods" thing is a load of hogwash myself. No offense reef.
Usually having the fuge first allows for a higher water level and thus IMO a better fuge. But thats debatable....